'75-'77 710

'77-'79 S10 200sx

'78-'80 A10 HL510 (in Canada)

'75-'79 620

'80 720 all had L20B 2 liter engines

180F thermostat for any of the above

Use only NGK plugs (not from e-Bay or Amazon) BPR6ES in Canada

Do NOT use anything from Fram. MAPA Gold or WIX are still good

I run the high ZDDP Shell Rotella T4 10w30 oil. I stay away from conventional oils because they have been reducing the anti scuff zinc additive ZDDP. It's half what it was when your '71 was new.

• Like 1

Flat tappet engines like the old small block were extremely susceptible to lobe wear. That and GM used cheaper cams that relied on owners strictly changing the oil on time. A friend had a Monte Carlo with the 265 V8 and half the lobes were ground down, two, there were no lobes left.

Rotella T4 is a light diesel oil which, so far. is exempt from this ZDDP reduction. Chevron Deleo 400 also works or any over the counter oil marked R for racing. I don't think a synthetic oil belongs in an old Datsun. It's 100 Xs thee protection you will ever need, too bloody expensive, tends to leak past old seals and gaskets. If you can drive 8,000 miles on it and you get 2000 miles to the quart then you have already replaced it all while driving.

put in a Saturn (GM) alternator, hoping it will b more reliable then the remanufactured ones and it looks like the water pump is the same as the L16. how about the starter, does the L16 & 2liter use the same starter? Once in a while the starter does not engage proper & seems to stick on for a second after starting ,Should i try putting in a little shim? i remember hearing something about modifiying head gasket, maybe it was for a different head or something, but guess they use differant head gaskets too?

The L20B is just 20mm taller (3/4") than the L16/18. Most stuff is interchangeable though not exactly the same. After market Felpro from NAPA are sized for the larger 85mm L20B cylinders. They will work just as well on a smaller 83mm L16.

Maybe your ignition switch is slow to release from the start position when you let go of it??? Spray some WD-40 in the keyhole. If not that the solenoid may be sticking. I have a few laying around.