L18 spark advance figures (for EFI)

I'm looking to populate a spark advance table like the one below with useful figures to get a car running. The motor is a stockish L18 with twin SUs and headers. I need something conservative that will help it run but not cause issues. Ignore the figures in the table, they're from a different project. 

344531686_Sparktable1.thumb.jpg.84b68b87c52f5a0516b6065fa9423ffd.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think around 34 total advance is usual for L series 4 cylinder engines. Stock initial advance is 10-12 degrees

Do you have some sort of programmable spark advance then? doesn't it sort of 'learn' as you drive it?

7 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I think around 34 total advance is usual for L series 4 cylinder engines. Stock initial advance is 10-12 degrees

Do you have some sort of programmable spark advance then? doesn't it sort of 'learn' as you drive it?

I can do "learn as you drive" for the fuel table, but not for spark. I need to get advance vaguely right, then the fuel table close to spot on. Then I can add more timing from there.

Initial timing here is very retarded for emissions. The L18SSS dual SUs in Japan were 14 degrees initial @ 550, 8 degrees mechanical  @ 1,800, vacuum advance starts at 6.25 in hg.  and tops out at 8 degrees @13 in. hg.

On 7/7/2021 at 10:57 PM, datzenmike said:

Well start with whatever the stock distributor had. What year L18 and in what? I have some distributor specs. I imagine they are all close to the same.

I have no idea what year the L18 is but I assume it came from a 610 in the 70s. Here's the number... But I can't guarantee the dizzy is stock either...

IMG20190725203555.thumb.jpg.4377f308b12e24caed6edf579d378665.jpg

'73 was the first and only year for the L18 in a 610, '74 for the 710 and 620. Not a lot of L18s around.

My '73 FSM shows the vacuum and centrifugal advance for an L18 in the '74 620. Want it?