1979 Datsun 620 King Cab

Hello All,

I'm finally getting around to restoring my 620. The truck has been in the family since the year it came out. The truck will still run right now with everything as is which is nuts and proves how solid these trucks are. The truck itself has a lot of rust due to sitting for long periods of time in driveways, backyards and garages. What I'm hoping to do accomplish is do as much as work as I can being a try hard but paying others to do things that I cannot; such as welding and what not. Please chime in and throw anything and everything you thing that should be done to get this truck looking good and safe as possible on the road. Pictures and a checklist is below. Thanks in advance.

Checklist (not in order):

Restore Truck bed (if possible). Sand, cut out bad metal, bondo and mesh fill?

Back driver side window repaired

Gas Tank clean up and small hole patched with JB weld?

Dash tear out and look for replacement

Explore engine swaps (paint engine bay if switching)

Address rust holes in floor boards of driver and passenger. Sand, cut out bad metal, bondo and mesh fill? or cut out all and weld these on no panels bought on ebay?

New seat belts.

Not sure what the best way to get pictures here. Link of the album that I have is below:

https://imgur.com/a/qezlLBJ

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reaction gif tagged with what the fuck?, Will Ferrell, Old School

G68Miqk.jpeg

The cab has been extensively modified. Looks about a foot longer than the KC cab. In fact this does not look like a King Cab at all. looks like a regular cab that's been lengthened. The truck bed looks correct so was the frame lengthened as well??? Definitely post some pictures of the cab.

KKXhTvW.jpeg

This also looks like a regular cab rear window.

hgC0qnB.jpeg

The 'tan' interior was only available on the '79 620s

Look in the engine compartment on the driver's side inner fender beside the coil for the 'Car Number Plate'. If it's a KC frame it will start KHL 620 FTUV ......

• Like 1

I was always told this was bought off the showroom floor. I don't see many like this and always got complements when it was on the road. Also left out this is a dually. 

The model plate that is in the engine bay says it's a HL620. If that's even the correct place that you are telling me to look.

KPxGUjd.jpeg

More pics of the cab and what I guess is mod of the cab and riveting.

hWLnvgr.jpegQJJ7GfU.jpeg3ggGHkH.jpegxRLusWo.jpegGtVyHNn.jpegRZwa4a5.jpeg

• Like 1

K is King Cab or (deluxe cab)

E is Cab Chassis (comes without a box, usually for commercial or camper)

H is L20B engine

L is left hand drive

G is Long Body

Blank is short body or King Cab

KPxGUjd.jpeg

HL 620 is definitely not a King Cab, has L20B engine and has no G so short wheelbase standard cab.

I don't know how all this extra length was fitted on a short wheelbase frame.

There is a frame stamp with the car number. It's stamped into the top of the frame between the passenger side engine mount and the alternator. Use a wire brush for the rust.  The car plate and the frame stamp should match.

Pretty cool all the same. Looks like maybe a fiberglass conversion kit though I can't see someone chopping up a brand new '79 truck. Maybe it was done in the '80s sometime? The notch in the back seat is for the shifter.... this was a front bench seat at one time.

Start peeling into the rust to see where it ends and the good metal begins.

Then look up fitzee fabrications 620 series on youtube. 

The mechanicals can be gone through simultaneously as you get sick of body work and vice versa lol

Frame, driveshaft, e brake cables... all must have been lengthened.

You can't cut safety glass, it has to be cut first then tempered. Use the other side for a template. I would not ride in it with regular shatter glass.

if it's not a problem. Can you take pic's of the underside of the cab, the frame,  driveshaft & e brake cables. Curious what the PO did to lengthen the 620. 

If the bed is to rusty with a zillion holes, maybe it's time to replace the bed. The drivers door looks rusty at the bottom, passenger looks ok. 

Was looking at Boise craig's list and theirs a 720 similar to yours. https://boise.craigslist.org/pts/d/nampa-chevy-43tbi-toyota-70s-80s-22r/7343780519.html

620 rusty bad.jpeg

620 rusty bed.jpeg

• Like 1