521 carb rebuild

Oilspot

So I've got a carb kit coming in tomorrow. Any links, info, etc to help me get this thing back in order. Ie. Passageways critical to clear, Adjustments etc.

71' 521. Nikki 16010 (ugh, that numbers from memory)

I've always kinda felt like i need to understand how a specific carb functions to be able to fully clean and rebuild it. And I dont know a damn thing about this unit!

Edited by Oilspot
  • Like 1
  • Oilspot changed the title to 521 carb rebuild
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shop rags and towels

Dental pick or similar.

Carb cleaner spray with straw. (good for blowing out passages if you wear goggles)

Large table covered in newspaper and good lighting or headlamp.

Toothbrush (used)

Both large and small Phillips and slotted screwdrivers

Carburetor jet removal tool. (save you grinding down a screwdriver)

Needle nose pliers

Regular pliers

Magnetic pick up tool.

Digital camera. Too many pictures is better than too little

2 hours uninterrupted, 4 otherwise.

A good kit will have directions for initial setting up.

There is very little to wear out inside the carburetor other than the accelerator pump. Mostly it just needs cleaning, second is adjustments. I never take the vacuum secondary apart. I never take the power valve out. If BCDD equipped I don't mess with it. (if it fails to work so much the better) I never adjust the fast idle screw, it's set at the factory. You bend the linkage to change the cam setting. I avoid submerging the carburetor in cleaning solution. You might want to spray the carb down several times before removing it from the intake. Carb cleaner on a rag and toothbrush gets most of the dirt off.

On most Hitachi carburetors there is a hollow screw coming up from the bottom that clamps the throttle plate to the carburetor body. It HAS to go back in the same place as it allows intake vacuum up to the power valve. My carburetor had been apart and the screws mixed up and I noticed it.

When the front is removed there is a very small brass part on the float hinge that spaces the float away from the glass. Probably on the Nikki. Watch for it.

NEVER take the throttle plates or shafts out of the carburetor body.

There are 2 BBs in the accelerator pump circuit that act as one way valves. The kit may have new ones but never count on it.

• Like 1

Finally got the time to rebuild the carb. Quite the puzzle!!! I'll admit, I got lost a few times, but ended getting it cleaned up and back together. 

Spent a while scrubbing the manifold/ side of the head trying to get this old girl cleaned up proper. Slowly but surely it's getting there. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Kinda weird that your truck has this carb. Is it a J16 or L16? 1971 trucks had L16’s with Hitachi carbs in the US market.

When I was trying to figure out what carb was on the truck I ran into a picture of a Nikki and it seemed to match, so I thought that's what I was dealing with. But then I out once I ordered the carb kit (by make model, year) and the kit came for a Hitachi.  

My mistake!

• Like 2

Looked at my 71 521 carb and didn't see that bracket. I'm with Charlie, put it in the glove box for now. 

Can you put in your profile what year and model of Datsun U got. Makes it easier for us members to know what you got. 

Edited by 420n620
add anutter sentence. lol
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, d.p said:

Hey mfer start one thread and ask all your questions there.  Or don’t I don’t care. 

Sorry bout that man! Been on a bunch of forums where they prefer just the opposite for searchability etc. I'll just start putting everything in my NM521 thread from here on out!!!!

I'll update my info with year make etc. on my truck also!!!! And I do apologize for having so many fucking questions. It's been a while since I've had a project I'm so interested in. I'll back off on the posting. 

Edited by Oilspot
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, Oilspot said:

Sorry bout that man! Been on a bunch of forums where they prefer just the opposite for searchability etc. I'll just start putting everything in my NM521 thread from here on out!!!!

I'll update my info with year make etc. on my truck also!!!! And I do apologize for having so many fucking questions. It's been a while since I've had a project I'm so interested in. I'll back off on the posting. 

Don't concern yourself with d.p we don't!  LOL

Ask all the questions you want, it is expected here.

3 hours ago, Oilspot said:

Never apologies for asking questions. Post all you like and post some oictures.

• Like 1