OE fuel lines/ clamps

Oilspot

In the process of getting my 71' 521 back on the road, I need to replace fuel lines as well as other lines/ hoses.

First question.... when i first signed up on the forums, somebody brought it to my attention that most hardware on my truck would be metric for the engine, sae for the rest of the truck. I haven't verified if this is actually the case, but wouldn't be shocked if it is. 

With that being said, I want to get "proper" fuel lines for the truck (as well as heater hoses, etc). Like 99% of the older vehicles, the fuel line has been replaced along the way with off the shelf line from autozone or something of the sorts backed up with some similar quality hose clamps (and lots of em'). I'm tired of settling for this crap!!! I've been dealing with that ill fitting garbage for the whole 30plus years I've spent playing with old crusty vehicles. You know, the fit is poor so you just wrench it down with a hose clamp.

I wanna order some OE fabric braided fuel lines and pinch clamps. Do it proper.  So do i need metric, or sae?  Without digging all over the truck before I order (because I'm already neck deep working on this thing), Did datsun run multiple size fuel lines, or should a small roll of one size get me most of the way there?

I hate having to stop progress to wait for shit to come in the mail, because I know nobody in town has what I'm looking for!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Oilspot said:

In the process of getting my 71' 521 back on the road, I need to replace fuel lines as well as other lines/ hoses.

First question.... when i first signed up on the forums, somebody brought it to my attention that most hardware on my truck would be metric for the engine, sae for the rest of the truck. I haven't verified if this is actually the case, but wouldn't be shocked if it is. 

With that being said, I want to get "proper" fuel lines for the truck (as well as heater hoses, etc). Like 99% of the older vehicles, the fuel line has been replaced along the way with off the shelf line from autozone or something of the sorts backed up with some similar quality hose clamps (and lots of em'). I'm tired of settling for this crap!!! I've been dealing with that ill fitting garbage for the whole 30plus years I've spent playing with old crusty vehicles. You know, the fit is poor so you just wrench it down with a hose clamp.

I wanna order some OE fabric braided fuel lines and pinch clamps. Do it proper.  So do i need metric, or sae?  Without digging all over the truck before I order (because I'm already neck deep working on this thing), Did datsun run multiple size fuel lines, or should a small roll of one size get me most of the way there?

I hate having to stop progress to wait for shit to come in the mail, because I know nobody in town has what I'm looking for!

yes all metric for the motor and sae for the body stuff....

I'm pretty sure the metal fuel line is just 1/4 inch.... 

Next are you trying to make this truck all original? If so its gonna cost you alot to try to get and find oem original stuff... 

The oem hose are non existent for the most part also be careful and check the part your replacing first, some of the parts listed for the 521 are wrong ... you have to get alittle creative sometimes with these trucks...

No i'm not trying to go full original oem. Just a fan of the fit of the oe fabric braided  (tif thats what youd call it) stuff. You know, that fits so well that you don't need to wrench down an ugly ass hose clamp on it.

You can get that braided fuel hose from various vendors, and if you search hard enough, you can find it in metric sizes. I found this by searching "metric braided fuel hose" - http://www.jwpartsplus.com/metric-fuel-line.html

A couple months ago I happened upon a supplier for Alfa Romeo Weber carb parts that sold a ton of that kind of era correct fuel system components. The link is here on Ratsun somewhere, but I don't remember the topic.

I think the key to proper era correct fuel hoses is the clamps. Wire clamps were originally used, but I have yet to find a source for Japanese quality wire clamps. So instead of beating myself over the head trying to be 100% correct, I have substituted Earl's clamps with the tiny screw and nut. Here are a couple sizes - https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/hose-clamps/product-line/earls-performance-vapor-guard-hose-clamps

Fuel Line Wire Hose Clamp OEM 240Z 260Z

These look like they were pulled from a 50 year old wreck somewhere in Kentucky and sand blasted. Not even old wine in new bottles, just old crap. Hell I got dozens of those out back.... just have to cut the lawn.

• Like 1

cs4025.jpg 

That may be, but all the ones I have ever seen that survived the years were cadmium plated, shiny and slightly yellow.

If this isn't sand blasted it sure could pass for it. Just look at the thread quality below....

Fuel Line Wire Hose Clamp OEM 240Z 260Z