Idle screw setting for KA24DE

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, grannyknot said:

When I tore down the idle air adjusting unit I forgot to record how many turns up from the bottom the idle screw should be, can anyone tell me how many turns that screw should be out?

Thanks

Screenshot 2021-07-03 at 17-23-42 EC pdf.png

I wonder if that’s why the KA in my 620 doesn’t want to idle… I set the idle with the throttle….

following this!

The throttle body stop or screw is just that. A stop. The throttle position sensor should be set to tell the computer the throttle is now ... closed. The screw indicated at the top of the thread would be the idle setting. Save this for when the computer knows the throttle is closed so it stops messing with ignition timing

• Like 1
On 7/3/2021 at 2:32 PM, grannyknot said:

When I tore down the idle air adjusting unit I forgot to record how many turns up from the bottom the idle screw should be, can anyone tell me how many turns that screw should be out?

Thanks

Screenshot 2021-07-03 at 17-23-42 EC pdf.png

Your best bet is to set it about 3/4 open, or most of the way out. Turning it in lowers the idle. 

Make sure the IACV solenoid and the TPS are disconnected before you start the engine. 

Also make sure the throttle plate is completely closed. 

Then you can start and make your adjustments. 

Once you have set idle and timing you can hook the solenoid and tps back up. 

7 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Your best bet is to set it about 3/4 open, or most of the way out. Turning it in lowers the idle. 

Make sure the IACV solenoid and the TPS are disconnected before you start the engine. 

Also make sure the throttle plate is completely closed. 

Then you can start and make your adjustments. 

Once you have set idle and timing you can hook the solenoid and tps back up. 

I understand why you would disconnect the TPS while setting the idle but why disconnect the IACV, isn't that valve bringing in just the right amount of air to allow the engine to idle?

Idle Air Control Valve is a solenoid operated valve that is operated by the ecu to control idle. 

If it is connected it will try to control the idle.

You are setting the baseline idle (and timing), once baseline is set the ecu can the be plugged back in to control everything optimally.  

I have recently learned a lot of this the hard way 🙂

• Thanks 1