NM 521

Oilspot

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like I found a local 620 I can pick up to rob the springs out to fix my 521 bench. They appear to have to same bends/ profile. 

Been thinking about going with a carpet kit. Do I remember someone here on ratsun making nice kits, or is ebay my best bet.

And.... Door cards???? Anybody making quality units on here? I can make my own but would kinds like some super nice units. There's not much to the truck, figure I'd like to make the little bit that's in there super nice. 

Ebay seller jctuner20 sells a carpet kit (used to be tunnerconnection20). Good communications with him - in the past he offered kits in different piles and with customization options.  Usually make-to-order, so you might have to wait for delivery. I bought one and laid it out, but didn't install glue/down due to a couple cabin leaks I'm still chasing. But looks good - think you need steam to lay it down nice.

Door cards are flat, so pretty easy to duplicate in hardboard - local shop could do. I found various Thailand-made ones on ebay - look reasonable, but shipping big stuff kinda risky.

Just now, Tucson620 said:

Ebay seller jctuner20 sells a carpet kit (used to be tunnerconnection20). Good communications with him - in the past he offered kits in different piles and with customization options.  Usually make-to-order, so you might have to wait for delivery. I bought one and laid it out, but didn't install glue/down due to a couple cabin leaks I'm still chasing. But looks good - think you need steam to lay it down nice.

Door cards are flat, so pretty easy to duplicate in hardboard - local shop could do. I found various Thailand-made ones on ebay - look reasonable, but shipping big stuff kinda risky.

Eta: And that reminds me, I need to fix my driver side springs and upholstery. Any ride over 20 minutes = numb butt

49 minutes ago, Tucson620 said:

Eta: And that reminds me, I need to fix my driver side springs and upholstery. Any ride over 20 minutes = numb butt

With the broken springs, my seat has a kinda bitting action. Not fun at all!!!!! I'm looking forward to getting that fixed

I've seen the door cards from Thailand, they look pretty clean, but ordering from outta country, being concerned about actual quality with prob zero chance of returns if they suck......... Yeah. I'm not really feeling that option!

25 minutes ago, Oilspot said:

With the broken springs, my seat has a kinda bitting action. Not fun at all!!!!! I'm looking forward to getting that fixed

I've seen the door cards from Thailand, they look pretty clean, but ordering from outta country, being concerned about actual quality with prob zero chance of returns if they suck......... Yeah. I'm not really feeling that option!

I have seen those door cards from the Thai dude online.  To my knowing, no one has ordered a set here.  They look nice but like you, I am suspect of a good outcome.  I dont trust paypal.

• 2 weeks later...

So I did end up picking up the 620 seat from a buddy here in town. the upholstery is rough, but as I said before, I'll be redoing that myself. I took a few quick measurement's and it looks like it'll be easy enough to make fit.  The width of the mounting points seems to be the same, but the distance between the front and rear mounting points is  different on the newer seat. Looks easy enough to drill and prob just spot weld in a carriage bolt to snug it all down 

Anybody have any experience with a 620 bench in a 521? It's got the same non-headrest back but has the "dip" in the base in the middle that would allow for the shifter to be mounted further rear. 

I wanna go start ripping the seat out to just check fitting, but.... I'm getting married in a month and am busy working overtime to pull in extra cash, and am helping the fiance get stuff together for the wedding on any leftover "freetime". 

• Like 3

I don't have any experience with them but I have seen pics of other people doing it so I don't imagine its all that tough to make work.  FWIW I have stock 521 bench and a long tail 5 speed and the *new shifter location works just fine.   Meaning it clears the bench no problemo.

Not the best pic but you get the idea.

52165440893_e256bc140e_b.jpg[/url]Untitled by 

• Like 4

521 sliders bolted right up to the 620 frame, but the backrest is a little to wide/ will not lay back due to contact on both sides. I could massage the backrest to make it fit, but honestly I'd rather put the work into the og seat. So....

I just verified the 620 springs have the same bends etc at the ones broken in my 521 seat. So I'm gonna rob them out of it and rebuild my original. I've got 4 broken springs total, just on the driver's side (it was delightful to sit it let me tell you!!!!). There are two broken "support" springs in the backrest and I can rob those outta the 620 seat also. 

Im wanting to order in some high density foam to make the cusions (roughly 50 IDL). Looks like that'll run me around $80. I ordered some seat heaters off of Amazon. And then I'm just gonna redo the "upholstery" with serape. 

I'm eyeballing upholstery machines and really want to learn how to make my own covers... Dash, etc. 

• Like 1

Q6Sucnf.jpg

PpdZrrX.jpg

Yeah.... That many were broken. Just got the 4 620 springs swapped in. I took em from the passenger side of the donar seat, figured they'd prob had less wear and tear. Still need to install the pinch clips, clean it all up, fresh coat of paint, etc. 

If anybody needs springs, there's still a bunch left in the donar. Cover shipping and Ill shoot em your way. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

These seats are notoriously bouncy. I had the upholstery shop “tie” them and it came out so much better.

Do you know how they tied them. I figure they'd  just preload the springs, just not sure how I'd wanna go about doing that. 

Edited by Oilspot
20 minutes ago, Oilspot said:

Do you know how they tied them. I figure they'd  just preload the springs, just not sure how I'd wanna go about doing that. 

I was watching a car show they weaved a material throught the springs left to right ... I believe it had some stretch to it.... they just screwed it into top on the ends.... 

Might be what he means ...

7 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I was watching a car show they weaved a material throught the springs left to right ... I believe it had some stretch to it.... they just screwed it into top on the ends.... 

Might be what he means ...

Yeah. I just Googled it. Lots of info on it. Guess I'll add that to the project!

5 hours ago, mainer311 said:

These seats are notoriously bouncy. I had the upholstery shop “tie” them and it came out so much better.

Truck seats are supposed to be bouncy.

Over the years, I've had a few "big" trucks. One was a 1938 Ford 1.5 ton ex Shell oil truck. Right now I've got a 1953 Ford F500. Both have massively thick seat bottoms and I've discovered the reason why. Because without them, you'd get bruised kidneys. I've seen dozens of big trucks with modern seats in them and I laugh every time because it's so impractical.

So when the Datsun was designed, people expected trucks to have cushy seats, to act as a part of the suspension.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, my wedding was last weekend, so after a half week of work and running around taking care of various stuff, I finally had a chance to mess with the 521 this afternoon. 

Before I go any further I've got a few questions.

1.  for the spare tire mount (under bed). Does the chain just roll out if you turn down to far. My chain mechanism is missing, and if it's easy enough to roll another one in, and somebody's got one they want to sell me let me know!!!

2.  The jack handle the mounts/ hangs behind the seat. Mines missing! If it's just round stock with a few bends, and if someone can get me dimensions I'll make my own. If it's more complex than that (a picture would be great), I'd be more that happy to buy one if somebodies got one up for sale! I was cleaning up the jack this afternoon and having all that crap in there, as close to correct (OG) as stock would be worth the trouble for me. 

3.  I've got what I think is a stock tire iron/ cross, with a hubcap spoon on one side. If this was oem equipment, how did they secure it (I'm guessing somewhere behind the seat). And If what I've got isn't correct..... I'm looking for that also!

with that aside I've piled more on the to do list while I wasn't able to work on the truck. I just got the jute backing glued in today and will be stretching/ forming cut pile auto carpet into the cab in the next few days/ week. I need to make door and kick panels. I decided to clean up and polish the sill plates (steel wool). And a friend gave me quite a few sheets of Kilmat and I'm doing the insides of the doors to make the ol' truck a little more luxurious. 😂

Edited by Oilspot

1/ IIRC it only droops down close to the ground and stops. You have to lift the tire up and off.

2/ I think the end has an open end loop that fits the jack's opening so it doesn't fall out. Should be able to make something

How to Use a Hydraulic Bottle Jack? A Step-By-Step Guide

3/ I think it's this type of lug wrench. Don't need 3 extra sizes.

VINTAGE Datsun Z NISSAN Motor OEM Tire Iron Lug Nut Wrench Tool 21 5F 21mm  | eBay

15 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

1/ IIRC it only droops down close to the ground and stops. You have to lift the tire up and off.

2/ I think the end has an open end loop that fits the jack's opening so it doesn't fall out. Should be able to make something

How to Use a Hydraulic Bottle Jack? A Step-By-Step Guide

3/ I think it's this type of lug wrench. Don't need 3 extra sizes.

VINTAGE Datsun Z NISSAN Motor OEM Tire Iron Lug Nut Wrench Tool 21 5F 21mm  | eBay

Just went out and stuck my head under there. It does have the crank down/ chain style on my truck. Theres even the tab with the cutout over the licence plate to jamb the long pole thingus through to wind the tire down. Makes sense that I don't need a star, theres no use for the other sizes of the star (not sure why that didn't occur to me... duh!!!)

I'm sure I have a tire iron like you put in the picture, if not a few rattling around my shop/ property somewhere.

I was eyeballing taking out the shifter today, because It'll make forming the carpet way easier!!!!!

The bottom connection looks like a simple clip/ slide out pin. Then the top comes out with the flathead facing the passenger side. 

Anything else I need to know about taking this apart? Are there any bushings in there I may need to replace while I'm in there or anything of the sorts?

Stock 4 speed??????

Ah the F4W63 used on a host of Datsuns and aka the 'Monkey Motion' shifter, a well earned name for when the bushings get worn.... which is every one. My '71 you could move the shifter in a circle the diameter of a dinner plate.

The bottom of the shifter is not round but rectangular with threads. A special shaped washer, keyed so it won't allow the shifter to spin, clamps two opposing rubber cone vibration isolation mounts to the striking rod. The rubber wears and the shifter gets sloppy. Maybe add some washers above and below to increase the clamping?

Farther down is a horizontal pin held on with E clips and washers. Add thin washers to snug up the slack. I think Hainz said he put nut an bolt in and tightens the arms closer. Maybe but it has to be loose enough to rotate slightly. Basically get rid of any looseness but not so tight it can't move. 

Yeah... It's a 4 speed. I searched "monkey motion" and found some clear pictures and a video. 

I do see there's a nut on the bottom of the actual shifter (I'm assuming this is where the square threaded section is you mentioned). If I could easily pull that out it would give me more than enough room to maneuver the carpet around without having to pull it over the shifter! Do this usually come apart easily enough????

12 hours ago, Oilspot said:

I was eyeballing taking out the shifter today, because It'll make forming the carpet way easier!!!!!

The bottom connection looks like a simple clip/ slide out pin. Then the top comes out with the flathead facing the passenger side. 

Anything else I need to know about taking this apart? Are there any bushings in there I may need to replace while I'm in there or anything of the sorts?

If I remember right you dont want to mess with that upper pin with the flat head slot... there is a tiny roll pin keeping it from rotating.. 

If the roll pin is not removed completely you can break the ear off trying to rotate the screw..