Opinions on my timing L-16

roadsterdude

I have had varying results with DGVs. I can say that most of the dieseling issues I have had have been on non-stock engines. The DGV on my dad's Sunbeam Alpine, the one on my '63 MGB, and the one I recently installed on my friend's Sunbeam Alpine have all worked flawlessly. The many 510s and my 320 with a very hot A12 I have owned have all had dieseling issues. None of those engines were stock.

• Like 1
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stock L16 head is 8.58 compression. It's the smallest combustion chamber but technically also an open chamber

Closed chamber W53 or SSS head is 8.21

Open chamber L20B head is 7.72

With compression that low no wonder they don't diesel!!!

• Like 2

Update: The cut-off solenoid arrived yesterday.  Installed this morning.  The threads are correct, but the fit is VERY tight - almost at an angle since it is up against the electric choke assembly. The 12MM hex fitting interfered with the housing but would turn with a little effort without binding. I did get it seated however and wired, but it would not idle.  Ran like crap.  Idle would not adjust, so I removed it, re-installed the idle jet ran great.  Tried once more since I could have had it in wrong.  No joy.  It fits but something is very wrong.  I put the old idle jet back and re-adjusted the idle.  It runs fine and almost does not diesel, but it still does  blip over a few times, which cannot be good for it, so back to the clutch lugging cut-off for now.  What do y'all think the deal is with the cut-off solenoid?  Any experience with this?  PN 43928.060B

Great reminder to double check my wiring.  I was getting a voltage drop on the jumper I had hooked up from the choke.  I re-wired both the choke and the solenoid and boom - problem solved.  Thanks guys!

• Like 2