• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have this?

XVJqgYy.jpg

No idea. But a General Motors HEI module can easily enough be wired in and work. Cheap (very cheap at wrecking yards) You have a remote igniter electronic ignition (EI) all '78 Datsuns had them.

Just ignore the ohms rating for the coil, your coil will be just fine.

InDpDXk.jpg

I'm sure they are cheaper than this....

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Motors-Replacement-Module-4-Pin-HEI-,340163.html?sku=91012347&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlMaGBhD3ARIsAPvWd6hIcWhEOutoGYcqFl9L2yE9ZOaOSrAmBLJLj8fgmAcEsiGgWuYa2pAaAqlCEALw_wcB

Speedway Motors Replacement Module, 4 Pin HEI

Module must be well grounded and you could probably do a neater job of wiring.

jgkrI2H.jpg

47 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

You have this?

XVJqgYy.jpg

No idea. But a General Motors HEI module can easily enough be wired in and work. Cheap (very cheap at wrecking yards) You have a remote igniter electronic ignition (EI) all '78 Datsuns had them.

Just ignore the ohms rating for the coil, your coil will be just fine.

InDpDXk.jpg

I'm sure they are cheaper than this....

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Motors-Replacement-Module-4-Pin-HEI-,340163.html?sku=91012347&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlMaGBhD3ARIsAPvWd6hIcWhEOutoGYcqFl9L2yE9ZOaOSrAmBLJLj8fgmAcEsiGgWuYa2pAaAqlCEALw_wcB

Speedway Motors Replacement Module, 4 Pin HEI

Module must be well grounded and you could probably do a neater job of wiring.

jgkrI2H.jpg

thanks. I actually tried an HEI and it didn't work. I think it's bad as it didn't produce spark and was wired exactly as you'd referenced. then I found the LX-513 which looks identical to the E12-27 and this site lists as a replacement http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=B-210_Electronic_Distributor_Swap. it's getting spark but not starting. possible I just need to be patient as I hadn't started it in a while

IMG_20210622_181007.jpg

Edited by jackfruit
58 minutes ago, jackfruit said:

thanks. I actually tried an HEI and it didn't work. I think it's bad as it didn't produce spark and was wired exactly as you'd referenced.

Try reversing the W and G wires from the R and G coil in the distributor. The HEI may not rigger if the signal wave is positive (or negative) see if that helps.

24 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Try reversing the W and G wires from the R and G coil in the distributor. The HEI may not rigger if the signal wave is positive (or negative) see if that helps.

thanks. had done that as well (based on previous advice from you from another topic where I was trying the HEI). this B210 has never not started, but I hadn't run it in a month and decided to try this new control unit. battery is fine (I have battery key to avoid run down)

thanks. had done that as well (based on previous advice from you from another topic where I was trying the HEI). this B210 has never not started, but I hadn't run it in a month and decided to try this new control unit. battery is fine (I have battery key to avoid run down)

So it starts now but you are changing the ignition box anyway?????

I have multiple topics for the same effort/issue. I have two b210's. one runs (78 uses D4F with EI control unit), the other doesn't run (77 points distributor). I'm converting 77 to D4F EI from points. I tried an HEI, and didn't work through many trials and correct and reversed wiring. I then pulled the EI control unit from 78 and used it in the 77 and it worked, so now I need another control unit so that both my b210s can run. purchased the Standard expecting it to be compatible for reasons already stated. I have not been able to get that HEI to work in either car. apologies for confusion. 

Edited by jackfruit

just fyi for anyone wondering. verdict in. this LX-513 control unit either isn't compatible with the 22100-H7680 B-210 A14 '78 Federal D4F7-01 remote igniter distributor or is defective (though purchased new). will have to find another E12-27 ICU or a just try another GM HEI and hope it works this time. 

On 6/23/2021 at 8:06 PM, jackfruit said:

just fyi for anyone wondering. verdict in. this LX-513 control unit either isn't compatible with the 22100-H7680 B-210 A14 '78 Federal D4F7-01 remote igniter distributor or is defective (though purchased new). will have to find another E12-27 ICU or a just try another GM HEI and hope it works this time. 

purchased E12-27 12V 8509 from a 280Z and it worked with the 22100-H7680 B-210 A14 '78 Federal D4F7-01 remote igniter distributor. so far this and the 78 B210 stock E12-27 12V 8118 work. 

On 6/23/2021 at 9:17 PM, datzenmike said:

Imperative that the HEI module is well grounded to the body!  This is the ground return for the coil just like the distributor is for points.

yes. I had grounded it to body, didn't work, then thinking maybe it was ground, I ran a ground wire from it to the neg batt ground. still no juice. it's possible I did something to fry it at some point when doing initial wiring.