Finding vehicle information on a Datsun through vin number

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's too bad I was hoping it was in the later '70s.

There is the car number plate screwed to the cowl above/behind the valve cover. Has engine and car number on it as well as engine displacement and HP.

The engine number is on the top edge of the block behind the dip stick handle.

There is a matching car number also stamped into the top of the right frame rail behind the engine mount.

After 50 years the engine may have been swapped and the engine number may not match the car number plate. The frame number should though.

21 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

That's too bad I was hoping it was in the later '70s.

There is the car number plate screwed to the cowl above/behind the valve cover. Has engine and car number on it as well as engine displacement and HP.

The engine number is on the top edge of the block behind the dip stick handle.

There is a matching car number also stamped into the top of the right frame rail behind the engine mount.

After 50 years the engine may have been swapped and the engine number may not match the car number plate. The frame number should though.

ok thanks

Unlike most domestic muscle cars, for example, I'm not aware of any "build sheet" info available for any Datsun's.............in other words, no option listings, no sales info, no color connection to a vin etc.  As datzenmike points out, the aluminum tag in the engine compartment shows the vin # & the engine #............that's about it!

20 hours ago, njp.18 said:

Hi guys, I wanted to do some research on this particular Datsun for sale but it has the 11 digit vin so I can't use the normal vin researcher websites. Do you guys know of anyway to get around this

What are you trying to find out about this 521. Options? Its driving history?

The number stamped on the frame must match the body tag or registration. The tuck could have been rolled and written off or stolen. The body tag could have been changed or another body swapped on. Engine number is meaningless as it could easily and without legalities be swapped.

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

What are you trying to find out about this 521. Options? Its driving history?

The number stamped on the frame must match the body tag or registration. The tuck could have been rolled and written off or stolen. The body tag could have been changed or another body swapped on. Engine number is meaningless as it could easily and without legalities be swapped.

The owner doesn't have the title or the registration so I was going to try to use the trucks vin number on one of the websites that tell you who the registered owner is.

6 minutes ago, njp.18 said:

The owner doesn't have the title or the registration so I was going to try to use the trucks vin number on one of the websites that tell you who the registered owner is.

the DMV will tell you this, for free.

10 hours ago, njp.18 said:

I guess id have to go in for that because on their website, it only allows you to look at the vehicle records of your personal cars, and that's for 2$.

In I went through this and will be doing it again in August.

Last time I went in with my 69 510. I had a bill of sale from the non-registered owner. Original owner dropped the car off at a wrecking yard in the 80's and the guy I bought it from saved it, no title. I went to the DMV, they gave me the last registered owners name and address. In Oregon you mail them something asking them to sign and return. Prepaid stamped return envelope helps.

Also heard there are loop holes in Vermont and Oklahoma to get titles. Never tried it.

• Like 1

The 521 is most likely too old for this, but the Nissan dealer software now prints out the first sale date, warranty expiration date and several useful fact at the top of all work orders.  I would surmise that this software is VIN driven so older non  VIN ID numbers would probably not trigger the vehicle production etc. info.

Example:  My Infiniti J30T lists the production date, the fact that it was retained by corporate Nissan for a year, the date it was released to the dealer for sale and the date I bought it with the warranty expiration date.  Can't ask for a better ownership trace than corporate records.

On 6/22/2021 at 12:34 AM, njp.18 said:

I guess id have to go in for that because on their website, it only allows you to look at the vehicle records of your personal cars, and that's for 2$.

We use a title service here in Denver, for pretty much ANY situation, including no title & no known last registered owner.  To me, it is well worth the cost of paying them, cuz they should know exactly what to do & who to talk to at your DMV.

Apparently, the Vermont loophole allowing you to get a bill of sale by vin # is still viable................I've just never done it!