Recommendations for the Best Replacement Blower Motor 1985 Nissan 720 KC 4x4?

MaxG

Anyone out there have an opinion on the best after market brand blower motor for a 1985 Nissan 720? I want one that fits and hopefully is a little bit quieter than the chirping original I have now. I've been searching high and low but can't find a genuine Nissan one. 

Also, with the aftermarket, do they still need the blower motor resistor switch to control the speeds of the fan or is that built into it now? My Haynes manual says the blower motor resistor switch was no longer there in 1986 models, so I'm wondering if this is true for newer blower motors in general. My speed 4 has never worked, but I figure if I'm doing the blower motor I might as well do it right. 

Thanks! 

• MaxG changed the title to Recommendations for the Best Replacement Blower Motor 1985 Nissan 720 KC 4x4?
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You want the best fit and price get a used one from a wrecking yard. The resister pack needs a Philips screwdriver to remove. It's top left front of the fan assy.   Fourth on a 4 speed fan is the same as third on a 3 speed fan. On a four speed fan first is lower speed.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of doing that through eBay, just hard to tell how well the new (used) one will work until I install it. On the other hand, reading reviews of the aftermarket ones sounds bleak so a used one may be the best option

When replacing and removing the tube that attaches, will that leak Freon when it’s taken apart?

I got one from O'Reilly for like $55 and it works fine.  It was plug and play, no resistor.  The one issue is it did not come with weatherstripping so I had to add some.  When I did, and clamped down the 3 screws tightly, there was a rattle that sounded like one of the fan blades was rubbing one something. I backed off one of the screws a taste and it took tension off the body and the rattle is gone.  There is no air leaking around the seal.  Significantly improved airflow, apparently my fan was dying for a long time.

• Like 1
On 6/18/2021 at 12:36 AM, MaxG said:

Oh ok, from the diagram in the Haynes manual it looked like there was a tube coming out, wasn’t sure what that was for when I saw it

It's a rubber hose and can only surmise it ducts cooling air back into the electric motor.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Got a new (used) blower motor, which is much quieter, and a brand new blower motor resistor from a Nissan dealership but it’s still only blowing 3 out of 4 speeds. It won’t blow on high. I changed out the relay and fuse too, but no luck. 

Any ideas how I can get it to blow on the 4th speed?

• Like 1

There were 3 and 4 speeds available with 3 and 4 being high and the same speed, 3 having two lower speeds and a 4 speed having 3 lower speeds. You may have a 4 speed switch but only 3 speed  harness and resisters.

40 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

There were 3 and 4 speeds available with 3 and 4 being high and the same speed, 3 having two lower speeds and a 4 speed having 3 lower speeds. You may have a 4 speed switch but only 3 speed  harness and resisters.

Is there any way to tell by looking at a resistor if it will blow three or four speeds? The part description doesn't seem to have that info. This is the one I bought: 

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-resistor-heatr~27150-62w20.html

I also have the white resistor below that came with the used blower motor, but it only blows 2 speeds. It seems that all of the aftermarket ones for a 1985 are out of stock, but would one from a 1986 fit? 

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1

My understanding of the 4 speed fans in the 720 were equipped with the the 180 watt heaters.  These are in trucks that were delivered to extremely cold regions.  In all the 720s I have owned over the years I have only seen 3 speed fans.  Granted I live in Phoenix but my 86 was sold new in Salt Lake City Utah and while I was in Northern Nevada I bought 720's from Idaho, Montana, Minnesota and Michigan.  None of these trucks had the 4 speed fan.  I have owned many factory AC 720s from 1980 on and still that has not produced a 4 speed fan either.

Thanks for the replies. @datzenmike i put in the new resistor but the AC shuts off when I move the lever to the 4th speed, which must be what you were saying initially, that 3 is somehow the high setting - which may go with charlie69's point directly above. @Charlie69 if I understand correctly, you think the blower motor itself won’t go to the 4th speed? That some just do 3 speeds? I've seen climate controls with just the three speeds, so I wonder if I accidentally got a replacement blower motor out of a truck that only had three speeds. Weird that my old one only did three speeds too, but for all I know, that might not have been the original either. If this is the maximum this blower motor can do, I'll just live with it I guess. For reference, here’s what my climate control looks like: 
s-l1600.jpg

High speed is 12 volts through the motor and directly to ground through the switch, no resister coil involved. A 4 speed would have 3 coils the the 3 lower speeds.

MoQc7UV.jpg

I put a 720 dash and heater in my 620..... it had 4 speeds on the fan but it was a mixture of parts and 4th didn't work

• Like 1

That's what I was afraid of haha, I just replaced my stereo and had all of that stuff out. It was a pain to get everything back in so I'll live with 3 speeds for a bit until I have to go back in there for another reason

• Like 1