Mr Popplewell

Hi good day first let me say thanks for the opportunity the knowledge and info shared is really great. I own a 720 kingcab with a CA18S engine and 5 speed gearbox. I have read the various posts on the LZ mods but it always involved a L20B and Z22/Z24 can anyine confirm if it is possible for a L18/Z22 combo with just the L20B front timing cover etc. L20B arent readily available where i am.

Thanks much.

20210224_183032.jpg

20210305_145952.jpg

20201114_180615.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An LZ is really just a Z22 block with all the inside parts, crankshaft, rods, pistons but with an L series head and manifolds, front timing cover with distributor, oil pan and pick up, and the engine brackets to fit the body mounts. This in effect converts a Z series into an L series (stroker) engine. You will need an L series transmission for this.

The L18 block is 2cm shorter than the L20B and the Z22. If you have the Z22 block but you don't have an L20B timing cover, you can use the L18 timing cover if you weld on a 2 cm spacer to bring it up level with the top of the block. If welding aluminum isn't possible, the spacer could be bolted onto the top of the timing cover by using longer bolts coming down from the head. RTV would probably be alright as this area isn't under pressure and only has to seal in vapors and oil spray.

You will need to lengthen the L18 timing cover by 4 links, that's 2cm per side because the head is now on a 2cm taller block.

afpCKaB.jpg

You will have to use the Z22 flywheel as the L18 wheel won't bolt on. Use the Z22 clutch and pressure plate and the release bearing collar that matches them. The L18 release collar won't work as it's matched to the smaller L18 pressure plate.

All L18s I have seen use an A87 head. Is this what you have on yours??? The A87 will work perfectly on a Z22 block. Compression with the open chamber A87 head is 9.8

Any questions???