Reinere

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/29/2021 at 9:22 PM, Reinere said:

I'll have to try this method, pretty sure mine is in the same or worse condition.

Be sure to remove the sending unit before filling with gravel and like Mike said tape up the holes and have your kids roll it around on the lawn.

On 9/8/2021 at 7:50 PM, datzenmike said:

If the valve lash is excessive it will make a loud ticking sound. On a fully warmed up engine adjust the exhaust to 0.012" and the intakes to 0.010".

I'll make a video of it this week. It sounds excessive at speed, especially around 45-50mph. Can't seem to get it to hold speed over 55mph, timing maybe. Def concerning. for where I live I might have to commit to a swap. 65-70 mph is pretty standard as I live out in the middle of nowhere!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Reinere said:

I'll make a video of it this week. It sounds excessive at speed, especially around 45-50mph. Can't seem to get it to hold speed over 55mph, timing maybe. Def concerning. for where I live I might have to commit to a swap. 65-70 mph is pretty standard as I live out in the middle of nowhere!

If your trying to go faster a 5spd swap would be a good idea... it get the rpms down to around 3000 instead of 4000 rpm trying to do 70...

The valve ticking is for the most part normal simply by design... modern cars definitely dont make all the noise these motors do.... 

Just make sure the valve lash is good..

Edited by Crashtd420
45 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

If your trying to go faster a 5spd swap would be a good idea... it get the rpms down to around 3000 instead of 4000 rpm trying to do 70...

The valve ticking is for the most part normal simply by design... modern cars definitely dont make all the noise these motors do.... 

Just make sure the valve lash is good..

My speedometer is way off but I find doing what I think is 70 hovers around 3500RPMs with my five speed.  With my speedometer pegged at 100mph I at about 4k or a little north of that.  

If you don't have the power to go 55 and above you definitely won't have the power to push through the air at 80 in over drive. ce is the limiting factor in top speed. If it takes 20 hp to go 40 MPH it take 80 hp (4 times that) to double the speed!!!! Over drive lowers the RPMs yes but lowering the RPMs also produces less hp.

Next time you are flat out at 55, as quick as you can stuff the clutch pedal down and get the ignition off and pull over. Do this in a safe place. You want the engine to stop turning as fast as you can to preserve the contents of the carburetor. Look at the window in the front of the carburetor. The gas should be level with the line or dot on the glass... is it. If hardly showing you have a fuel delivery problem. Have you replaced the fuel filter? Take the hose off the output of the pump and direct it into a container. Pull wire off coil so it won't start and turn engine with the key. Fuel should gush out in strong spurts... does it?

You say noise from engine check and set the valve lash, duh. Mayne lash pad fell off

Check that the secondary on the carburetor is opening.

Is the choke stuck on?

Is the exhaust pipe crushed?

Do a compression test. Maybe this engine has had it's day.