Finally started digging into my new (to me) 521

Reinere

I picked up one this winter, had been  sitting in a guys barn since 99, no rust on it. Didn't run. 

I ended up getting a weber carb on it and like magic it fired right up. 

todo:

1: The brakes are shot, think I might front disk convert it, any one got sources on where to find a decent conversion? 
2: Go through the entire front end (She pulls to the right HARD)

3: Tires and rims (Currently running 14's came with the original rims and poverty caps, tho I probably wont run those, spare looks like the original rubber which is pretty cool
4: Body? Maybe? No rust but tons of dings, was originally a cream color. Someone resprayed it.

Here's some pics!
6ajNZ5b.jpg
CfwtHAD.jpg

ktbXmsk.jpg

• Like 6
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1/ Front disc are a nice effective low maintenance up-grade. There are several suppliers on here where you source the calipers and rotors. Someone will reply.

2/ King pins, idler arm and steering ball joints probably shot and needs an alignment when done. There is a conversion to ball joint suspension to get rid of those king pins. Again someone will reply.

3/ Clean original rims are the nicest looking on a 521. 2nd choice is what you have.

4/ Body looks good as is. Could stand to be 1 1/2" to 2" lower all round. Paint the embossed DATSUN white to match the rims. Lose the cap.

• Like 3

Early Toyota 4x4 pickup wheels are 15x6 and look like stock stamped steel Datsun wheels. If you like the +1 look, give those a shot. 15" tires are a lot more plentiful too.

Toyota IFS trucks also came with what look like the same wheels, but the offset is more positive, so they won't stick out as far.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

New tires came in. Got 15" 0 offset procomp steelies with cooper cobra 215/65R15's from custom offsets, they were pretty awesome and helped me get everything sized up over the phone.

I'll probably daily these rims and tires and work on restoring the originals for shows only. Some poly tires on those original rims with poverty caps would look super classy, but not for regular driving.

The white rims i'll be selling (if you want them send me a pm!)

I'll get some pics of these mounted after the 4th of july. 
E6V7t6U.jpg

• Like 1

Oh and here are the old tires, truck has been sitting since 99, glad i didn't even attempt driving on them 

ZQ7wmkn.jpg

Also made a fun new discovery, the gas tank is full of sediment, so much so its plugging the fuel line. I'm gonna drop that and throw some nuts and bolts in. Then im gonna shake the ever loving hell out of it. I'll let you know how that "shakes" out!

• Like 2

I used 4 or 5 double hand fulls of driveway gravel in the fuel gauge hole.  I've heard of throwing a big chain in but it might wrap around the pick up pipe and bend it. Gravel mixture of fine and coarse grains gets in all the corners and the larger ones hammer the smaller ones. However long you think it will take? it will be at least twice that. Sure would have been nice to have it on a rotisserie for an hour.  Rinsed with garden hose until no more grit came out and laid it in the sun for the rest of the day. It was black and got very hot.

The gas I collected was an opaque orange primer color so I ran it through a fuel filter and it came out champagne clear. 

WGaI7gx.jpg 

The solid remains in the 5 gal bucket...

KyVcLds.jpg

Put a new filter on to collect anything in the line and changed it a month later. There was a small amount but nothing really. I changed the filter before winter and it was clean.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I used 4 or 5 double hand fulls of driveway gravel in the fuel gauge hole.  I've heard of throwing a big chain in but it might wrap around the pick up pipe and bend it. Gravel mixture of fine and coarse grains gets in all the corners and the larger ones hammer the smaller ones. However long you think it will take? it will be at least twice that. Sure would have been nice to have it on a rotisserie for an hour.  Rinsed with garden hose until no more grit came out and laid it in the sun for the rest of the day. It was black and got very hot.

The gas I collected was an opaque orange primer color so I ran it through a fuel filter and it came out champagne clear. 

WGaI7gx.jpg 

The solid remains in the 5 gal bucket...

KyVcLds.jpg

Put a new filter on to collect anything in the line and changed it a month later. There was a small amount but nothing really. I changed the filter before winter and it was clean.

I'll have to try this method, pretty sure mine is in the same or worse condition.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Reinere said:

Oh and here are the old tires, truck has been sitting since 99, glad i didn't even attempt driving on them 

ZQ7wmkn.jpg

Also made a fun new discovery, the gas tank is full of sediment, so much so its plugging the fuel line. I'm gonna drop that and throw some nuts and bolts in. Then im gonna shake the ever loving hell out of it. I'll let you know how that "shakes" out!

I had a blowout on my car trailer a few weeks ago. Tread came off just like in your pic. I felt a vibration for a mile before it blew.

Glad you found that. It surely would have messed up the fender.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Been awhile. 

Things done
Took fuel tank to RENU, they did a great job. Turned out great. Ran me $245.
Brakes done
Bit of chewed wiring repaired
Got the new rims + Tires mounted.

She's starting to look good, however it doesn't stay running for very long (Fuel pump?) I'll have to investigate.

I'm kind of getting attached to the topper....

2aOYaun.jpg

• Like 3

what you mean doesnt run for long?

if you think pump pu;ll the ouput hose off and point in safe direction and should squirt out gas.

If anything I think it would be the carb needle valve getting sticky.

there is a banjo fitting inlet. get a small wrench or screw driver and tap on it and gas should fill up if you still have the stock carb.  Weber dont have that but one way to tell if carb is empty is when this happens pull over the cycle the carb linkage and see if gas is squirting in the carb should be a strong stream. If not then the float bowl is getting on empty.

if ignition bad or you swapped to a newer coil the points will burn up.  keep the stock coil and ballast in there. do not just swap stuff out. esp with point ignition.

• Like 1

I've got it figured out, when i put in the new carb I left a bit of play on the throttle linkage.

Replaced the fuel filter as well and she's running much better...

Now on to spark. Should be fun. I'm not super committed to keeping the drivetrain as the engine is definitely NOT original.

I suppose I need to explore a swap. Would love to do a KA if I could find one. That's a headache in itself.
Should probably explore brake conversions as well. 

I suppose I have 2 spare L16's and transmissions now!

• Like 1