Taking apart a door lock tumbler??

henry

Hello everyone,

So I'm working on the doors;  specifically my drivers door lock - the one that opens the door with the key. And in the process of cleaning the inside, I believe that I broke that little flap that you stick the key through (... & when the key is taken out the flap closes up ). That flap is inside the lock & I would like to remove it, although the lock is working fine.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to open up the lock & taking it out. I tried Goggle, but they don't seem to go into that aspect of the lock. It feels like that little door was spring loaded.  Hoping to not have to visit the locksmith...

Well, thank you for your help.

Henry

1971, 510 SW

• datzenmike changed the title to Taking apart a door lock tumbler??
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure on that flapper. I think when I had mine keyed by a locksmith they replaced the front plate all together. 

I think they pop off from the front, press fit. 

Edited by Draker
12 hours ago, Draker said:

Not sure on that flapper. I think when I had mine keyed by a locksmith they replaced the front plate all together. 

I think they pop off from the front, press fit. 

I think so too!  I have always taken classic car locks to an old school locksmith, familiar with old school lock cylinders!

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies guys!

I thought that might be the case also. So I won't try to take it apart myself, as I would probably make it worse.

I'm doing one door at a time ( ...also doing all the rubber that's involved ) to minimize confusion.

The passenger side key lock is also stuck. But that could be the door lock itself. ( that was the case with the stuck driver's side key lock - need it some cleaning & lubrication  ). I'll probably end up taking both locks in for servicing. Would also like to find "an old school locksmith, familiar with old school lock cylinders" in Ventura ca.

Henry

• 2 weeks later...

only good locksmith is midtown on main, probably a bunch in oxnard.

i did it and bent the cover, needed another locks set to remove the spring for the flap.

could rekey it at this point as well.

the new set i got off ebay tripled in price when i went to order another.