Front turn signal

Howdy,

Looking to remove the front turn signal in my 61 PLG 222 since it's very faint when activated.  The trim/bezel turns a little to the left and to the right, but I am not sure how to remove it completely in order to get to the 3 screws holding it in place.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Roman

• Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

here's a thought, got 2 idea's. 

1 - take a small pair of vise grip's and turn the screws back wards till you can't grip on the screw's then take a small punch to push them through. Metal will get a little bent but can be hammered out straight again.

2 - take a dremel / small grinder and cut the screws as close as you can to the fender then use a punch to push them out.... ?? 

problem that might occur is while screwing the screws back wards, will it hit the glass and break it, which you don't want to happen.

have you tried turning beyond the 1/2" ? Maybe it's got a way it needs a little more tender loving ( insert cuse words ) to get beyond a catch lip ? Sorta like how a horn button is mounted ?  Wait, maybe it needs to pop off by pulling it forward, like how a hub cap is mounted. <<< I'd try that 1st.  Maybe try turning and pop forward at different positions  ?  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 420n620 said:

here's a thought, got 2 idea's. 

1 - take a small pair of vise grip's and turn the screws back wards till you can't grip on the screw's then take a small punch to push them through. Metal will get a little bent but can be hammered out straight again.

2 - take a dremel / small grinder and cut the screws as close as you can to the fender then use a punch to push them out.... ?? 

problem that might occur is while screwing the screws back wards, will it hit the glass and break it, which you don't want to happen.

have you tried turning beyond the 1/2" ? Maybe it's got a way it needs a little more tender loving ( insert cuse words ) to get beyond a catch lip ? Sorta like how a horn button is mounted ?  Wait, maybe it needs to pop off by pulling it forward, like how a hub cap is mounted. <<< I'd try that 1st.  Maybe try turning and pop forward at different positions  ?  

Thinking that the bezel has to come off somehow and the the bulb housing can be unscrewed if needed.  The signal is very faint, so might just need a fresh bulb.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Probably a snap fit bezel. Try gently prying with a wide screwdriver. If you're worried about damaging it, put a wrap of tape around the screwdriver tip.

I think that is the only other option.  I was hoping someone was going to tell me that I was simply not turning it enough to undo the bezel.  Hopefully I don't scratch anything on my beautiful truck😂

• Like 2

Tried prying the bezel and it wants to pull the bulb housing with it, so I'm going to wait to see if anyone else has any suggestions.  Just seems odd that both signals' bezels turn about a 1/2" but don't come off.

• Like 1

Even if you get the bezel off in one piece the screw holding the housing on will break or strip. I’d say gust cut the screw off from the inside and deal with it on the bench. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Rusty Dawg said:

Tried prying the bezel and it wants to pull the bulb housing with it, so I'm going to wait to see if anyone else has any suggestions.  Just seems odd that both signals' bezels turn about a 1/2" but don't come off.

While twisting the bezel are you applying outward pressure, pulling? 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Maybe the lens comes out without taking off the bezel...?

The tail lamps on my '57 Rover are strange like that too, and I think the bezel just snaps on. Like a speedo trim ring.

Thought about that, but I have an extra lens and it has a lip that sits behind the bezel.

• Like 1

0E64CDA8-2A68-44A2-9B6A-262C8AFE9B78.thumb.jpeg.bdcae55038d2bc0ffe61fae93b15afc3.jpegSo to install you would hang over the tabs and then pop it over the bump. Try prying gently around the edge, maybe while trying to push the whole trim ring to one side (like to relieve pressure on the bump).

3676ECB3-4713-459D-BE00-39468CFD8097.jpeg

490D2DB0-8B8A-49CC-9146-AF338FB64F89.jpeg

1 hour ago, nicklp said:

0E64CDA8-2A68-44A2-9B6A-262C8AFE9B78.thumb.jpeg.bdcae55038d2bc0ffe61fae93b15afc3.jpegSo to install you would hang over the tabs and then pop it over the bump. Try prying gently around the edge, maybe while trying to push the whole trim ring to one side (like to relieve pressure on the bump).

3676ECB3-4713-459D-BE00-39468CFD8097.jpeg

490D2DB0-8B8A-49CC-9146-AF338FB64F89.jpeg

That helps a bunch knowing what it looks like behind the bezel.  Thanks a lot.