How to: Destroying a 710 - By Sully

On 7/14/2021 at 1:36 AM, slowlearner said:

MGBs are lovely looking cars. You can see all Italian influences in them. Unfortunately, once you get under the skin, it's all over. Mechanically they're horrible. My condolences to your brother. 😁

Yeah, at least parts are somewhat easier to come by than my car. This one has been modified with a "3/4 race cam" and a dcoe weber. On top of that, it's been sitting for 12 years so everything is super crusty. Not to mention the rear wheels are seized, but he got it for free from his godparents so 🤷‍♂️. It'll teach him some valuable lessons at least. 

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally have a chance to work on the 710 again this weekend, the MG was a way bigger project than I even anticipated. I got it to turn over but the carb/linkage was rusted shut so I couldn't get it to fire. I gave my brother a small list of stuff to get but we'll see what ends up happening haha.

Anyway I got the smaller bushings in for the 710, but they were still a hair too big. So I ended up "turning them down" a bit(~1mm). I also got the spring pack put back together, I did some light surface prep and a coat of primer before throwing it back together with the new leaf and liners. 

Difference in arch between new/old leaf

PXL_20210731_170445205.thumb.jpg.02db4b297c25a8cd0a8b084c495e97a4.jpg

Quick/Rough paint, it'll probably rub off pretty fast anyway since I didn't prep all that much

PXL_20210731_170451866.thumb.jpg.ff2ba487df25908703e3c2aaf6a3da5c.jpg

I still have to put the clamps back in position/add 1 or 2. I also need to trim the center bolt once I get to installing it.

PXL_20210731_175802029.thumb.jpg.bd46cadac3c6f6096cd19cf89791471f.jpg

What I need to figure out now is how to get my new inner bushing sleeves to fit. The front/big eye will fit in the original bolt/sleeve. But the shackle bolts aren't so easy.

I can either drill out the new sleeves to fit over the old ones and be a little sketch

PXL_20210731_182431295.thumb.jpg.cc39044431447af00cf75ea6cdeeb569.jpg

Or I can grind off the old bolt from the bracket and get the correct size grade 8 to fit

PXL_20210731_182714736.thumb.jpg.8db871ea0d0d89214fb228a37f457339.jpg

I would just throw the old bushings back in, but they're pretty beat. I'm always hesitant to start messing with things I know I won't find a replacement for if I mess up. 

Any suggestions? I'll have to cut the new sleeve down ~1/4" too but that's no big deal. I'll be mulling it over as I go to grab some more stuff from town.

20 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

These pins are pressed in or welded??? 

Is that an actual question or a rhetorical one?(Excuse my ignorance either way) I haven't touched them yet, they're either pressed in or the teeth of the old sleeves are holding them in place. I haven't attempted to take the old sleeves out yet because I'll have to destroy them to do so.

I could pretty easily throw some boogers on the bolts, if that's the best course of action(5/8" drill bits were way more expensive than I expected). The old bushings are all chewed up and caked in rust, I could re-use them but I'd feel better with new hardware.

I wish Nissan decided to not change anything in their lineup starting in the 70's instead of 2000. It'd make life 10x easier.