Leaky Heater core and tap, and passenger front inner headlight - known replacements?

Ianos

Hi all, 

so my 'new' 629 KC (1979) finally had its engine serviced - nothing too worrying to report thankfully; the water pump needed replacing which it wasn't easy to get a replacement for (the water pump that came off my engine had additional fixing/pullies for belts that all the replacements pumps didn't come with?!), eventually got one that fit the engine correctly but needed a custom bracket... that's all good and the engine sounds great. 

however - the heater core and tap have a consistent weeping leak such that there is coolant on the footwells, so that needs to be sorted - I looked online for replacements but it seems we 620 owners need to make do with aftermarket parts and modify them to work; if anyone has experience in replacing these parts successfully I'd love to hear. 

Lastly, the passenger front inner headlamp unit needs replacing also - if anyone know a supplier or aftermarket/custom option - let me know!!

thanks all 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, 420n620 said:

thanks, I was aiming for NOS and the part on http://www.new-datsun-parts.com/ was advertised to fit my engine - no big deal just a waste of 300$ which I can hopefully recoup  as the part is good NOS from Nissan/Datsun but not right for my engine. 

38 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

inner headlamp ?? same as a 320 BMW far as I know of. Its a high beam lamp 50 watts

awesome thanks I'll do some looking into that - any idea of year/era of 320? (as it happens I've a 1985 320i at home.. might have to sacrifice it to the Datsun gods 🙃

1 minute ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

those are just 5.75 inch lamps  should be ez to find  even the earley 77 320s should fit.

excellent - thanks!! much appreciated - 

don't suppose you have any experience with heater core and tap replacement? 

1 minute ago, Ianos said:

good spot! for the next time my pump goes I'll know what to get

You in in Dublin Ireland???

I would buy that water pump now as a spare if ytou think your going to keep this truck a long time as these parts are drying up and that guy sells them of 300 to suckers when most dont know ifg is the cast impeller type its most likely a Japan NOS unite stored away in some warehouse.

rockauto has all these part your looking for(lots of chinese parts. Ebay has the better parts sometime if one knows what they looking for(japan made parts)

Just now, banzai510(hainz) said:

You in in Dublin Ireland???

sort of - I was until two weeks ago and decided to move to Ibiza for the foreseeable - the 620 is in Dublin for now, though Im thinking of driving it over and having it here as a daily.. 

25 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Heater core?  No I just leave the heat swtch ONso it dont wear out and use the Vent flap to keep it cool. One coul use a valve and bypass it and just leave it ON

mine is leaking so it either needs to be swapped out or repaired.. same with the heater tap assembly, small weepy leak - but combined it means after a few days there is a small pool of coolant in both footwells.. so I've had to also remove the carpets and center console until its sorted. actually, on that note; any good aftermarket carpet kits available?

5 minutes ago, Ianos said:

thanks, I was aiming for NOS and the part on http://www.new-datsun-parts.com/ was advertised to fit my engine - no big deal just a waste of 300$ which I can hopefully recoup  as the part is good NOS from Nissan/Datsun but not right for my engine. 

if you still got your old original water pump, don't toss it away. If you know of a local shop that has a press, maybe they can install a new bushing cause that's what normally wears out. The link I posted is a OEM WP, says made in Japan. Plus the propeller is casted and not a stamped POS metal. 

8 minutes ago, 420n620 said:

if you still got your old original water pump, don't toss it away. If you know of a local shop that has a press, maybe they can install a new bushing cause that's what normally wears out. The link I posted is a OEM WP, says made in Japan. Plus the propeller is casted and not a stamped POS metal. 

sadly the seller wont ship internationally - I've send him a message to see if he'll make an exception but I won't hold my breath. And annoyingly I DID ask the mechanic to keep the original pump for me when I dropped it in but he forgot and threw it out 😑

• Sad 1
17 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Most English Datsun trucks were J motors I believe not the L motor as the water pump we posted

my 620 was imported from the US - Oregon.. it came with the original bill of sale from the dealership - all very original, even the paint - only things I've noticed that look to be non original is one engine mount and now the waterpump. The interior seat covers and door cards were also redone at some point, but the rest of the trim is original (i think).

The undercarriage is in mint condition and everything is working. I've new door seals to fit as the originals are cracked and missing a few chunks in places. 

A non-stock rear bumper was fitted as some point too - but its suits the truck - very 'American pick-up' looking  but nice - plus the original is still there hiding behind. 

here is the same truck being sold at auction before I got it.. 

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/es20/the-european-sale-featuring-the-petitjean-collection/lots/r0133-1979-datsun-620-deluxe-king-cab/895377

1 hour ago, Ianos said:

good spot! for the next time my pump goes I'll know what to get.. 😅

Nissan used to stock a replacement kit [looked to be universal] of water pump shaft seal and bearing.  Might still be available. Only trick is the dissasembly of the water pump housing.  Getting the impeller off the shaft without breaking the cast iron is a bear.

2 hours ago, Ianos said:

For me it hard to believe there are any true NOS items left. Anyone can make a fairly good counterfeit copy and sell it for $25 plus an additional $250 by calling it NOS. The last 620 water cock 27017-B5000 $25 was probably made in the late '70s for production and parts for dealers. To think they made enough to supply the needs of Datsun owners for over 40 more years boggles the mind. 

NOS stands for New Old Stock or New Obsolete Stock and has never been sold before. It would be in it's original packaging and with part number. NEW is new, re-manufactured is re-manufactured. I've seen stuff pulled from wrecking yards, polished and advertised as NOS! There's too much money to be made counterfeiting old parts. It's old wine in new bottles, it's unicorn horn, it's rocking horse shit.

You can probably rebuild the water valve. Lots of links and how-to's floating around. Pop it off, bend the tabs back, replace the oring, clean it up, re-assemble.

There is also another guy on here two modded some euro car valve to work, it's a plastic valve. Search for that thread as well.

21 hours ago, Draker said:

You can probably rebuild the water valve. Lots of links and how-to's floating around. Pop it off, bend the tabs back, replace the oring, clean it up, re-assemble.

There is also another guy on here two modded some euro car valve to work, it's a plastic valve. Search for that thread as well.

thanks, yeah i think I'll investigate this job myself and see what can be done at home with basic tools and time.. 

You can buy a Datsun 240Z heater valve from Nissan, use the internal parts to rebuild your 620 valve.  We have also used a simple universal inline heater valve for a couple engine swaps that did not allow room for the stock heater tubes thru the firewall..............no reason you couldn't do that in a stock application, just requires some simple fabrication/imagination work.  If you use one of these universal inline valves, it will likely be further away, thus you would need a longer operating cable.  Here in the States, many of our plain old push lawnmowers use a SOLID CORE throttle cable.  Buy a lawnmower throttle cable kit, toss the handle, cut the cable to length, bend the ends to suit the Datsun & good to go! 😎

• Like 3