720 slip yoke size?

I have a 1980 Datsun 720 king cab and it is leaking like crazy around where the drive shafts slip yoke slots into the back of the transmission. I replaced the seal a short time ago which did nothing. I noticed when changing the seal however that there was a scratch on the slip yoke shaft which must be the source of the continued leak. I have heard that there are things called speedy sleeves which slide over the damaged slip yoke and help it seal properly again. These sleeves come in various sizes. My question is does anybody here know the size of a 1980 720's slip yoke? I am trying to avoid taking my entire drive shaft out again just to measure the slip yoke... Also it is a 2 wheel drive, not a 4x4. Cheers

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your reply datzenmike. No I haven't tried sanding or polishing the slip yoke but the scratch is fairly deep and runs right around it. I'd be inclined to think that sanding off so much steel would probably add to my leak woes. My neighbour used to be a mechanic and reckons those speedy sleeves are the best course of action, I just need to know the diameter of the yoke so I can order the right one! Looks like I might have to pull the driveshaft out again to measure...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Elgranto said:

Hey thanks Crashtd420, much appreciated! Is there any chance you could measure the length of it too? I just figure that also might be something I need to specify when ordering the new sleeve...

I doubt you would have to sleeve the whole thing but it might make the installation easier.... 

Either way it was right around 2-3/4.

• Thanks 1

Try the classifieds for a used spline for the front of your driveshaft. Any 620 should work and probably any Datsun car. The splines are all the same not sure about the U joint. Probably the same on the car but the trucks will be. the 4x4 720 is the same as he 2wd till around '82 then the U joint got larger.

• Thanks 1