The unicorn has landed

620z

The unicorn has landed! So the shipper dropped off the truck last night around midnight. I might mention that the middle of the night is not the best time to do an inspection. Everything appeared ok so I took possession of the truck. I was lucky enough that this shipper has a closed trailer so there was very little chance of damage on it's 500 mile journey home. I got up bright and early with the same jubilation as a kid waking on Christmas morning. In the early light of day, with my first real good look at the truck and it was actually better than I imagined. She really is a time capsule. 81,000 well cared for miles, garage kept and everybit the gem that the owner described. As to plans, this will primarily be a drop it and drive it truck. I will find some ST wheels and go. If I put a radio in it, it will be hidden in the glove box or somewhere, leaving the original tape deck in place. Keeping this one simple and enjoying the ride will be the agenda for the day.

20210528_082912-Edit.jpg

20210528_082851.jpg

20210528_082840.jpg

20210528_082827.jpg

20210528_082924.jpg

20210528_082931.jpg

20210528_082940.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really hate when shippers arrive so late. When I sold my CJ5, the shipper that picked it up arrived at almost midnight with a beat up 2000 Chevy 1/2 ton and a worn out enclosed trailer. The whole deal was so sketchy that I took pics of him, his driver's license, his truck and trailer. For all I knew, he was a thief disguised as a transporter.

Nice 720 you got there. Hopefully you didn't pay through the nose for it.

• Like 1
On 5/28/2021 at 12:04 PM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I really hate when shippers arrive so late. When I sold my CJ5, the shipper that picked it up arrived at almost midnight with a beat up 2000 Chevy 1/2 ton and a worn out enclosed trailer. The whole deal was so sketchy that I took pics of him, his driver's license, his truck and trailer. For all I knew, he was a thief disguised as a transporter.

Nice 720 you got there. Hopefully you didn't pay through the nose for it.

More than my wife would have liked but far less than my budget allowed for 🙂 

• Like 3
On 5/30/2021 at 10:18 AM, Charlie69 said:

You can add the clock and the tac to your instrument cluster.  Just find a cluster in a junk yard or online and add them to your cluster.  This way you keep the original mileage of the odometer.

Great idea!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Cautiously optimistic but it looks like my gamble paid off. So 6 days ago I ordered what was allegedly a New Old Stock fuel sending unit from Thailand that I found on Ebay because my gas gauge wasn't working. It just arrived today! Judging by the age of the packing paper, box and unit, I think it actually is an actual, NOS Nissan fuel sending unit. Pretty cool. Hopefully be able to drop the tank this weekend and get the fuel gauge working. This is actually good news because it means that that the source on Ebay may be a good source of more hard to find parts. 

207200127_144438104458986_7450708830986932647_n.jpg

208831015_353474819525215_1053118008059808871_n.jpg

212572767_538962160866261_8755155178216051166_n.jpg

217393621_557260415305623_6932017347657194211_n.jpg

• Like 5

If temperature gauge works then not the fuse or voltage regulator in the instrument cluster.

Gauge could be bad. Tank may not be grounded. Any wire between the two might be disconnected, or broken.

Ground the Yellow/White wire at tank and gauge should read FULL. Proves gauge and wiring is good.

Ground the Black wire at tank. If gauge starts reading then the ground is bad. If still not reading then sender is bad.

• Like 3
On 7/16/2021 at 11:50 AM, datzenmike said:

If temperature gauge works then not the fuse or voltage regulator in the instrument cluster.

Gauge could be bad. Tank may not be grounded. Any wire between the two might be disconnected, or broken.

Ground the Yellow/White wire at tank and gauge should read FULL. Proves gauge and wiring is good.

Ground the Black wire at tank. If gauge starts reading then the ground is bad. If still not reading then sender is bad.

Thank you for that. I will check the electrical first before I drop the gas tank. That would be much less work. 

• Like 1

So for wheels, I have been trying to source a set of TE37X Nismo wheels from a Frontier but those things are as rare as hens teeth. 10 years ago they couldn't give them away and now I can't find any for sale even at a crazy price. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The search is over! I found a rare set of 4 Nismo Rays te37x (one piece forged aluminum) that were offered as a performance upgrade to the 98-04 Frontier and Xterra. These things are almost impossible to find and the icing on the cake is that this set have never been mounted and are still in the original boxes. True new old stock. Unbelievable! Here is also a video of the unboxing 

Edited by 620z
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update, finally went through the truck with a fine tooth comb for mechanical issues. There was really very little to do. New carrier bearing which as you can see was beat, oil pressure sensor and brakes. Did replace the rotors too just for piece of mind. Next mechanical issue is the carburetor. Idles a bit rough and takes time to idle down when shifting gears. Not expecting anything major. This will be my project for this coming weekend. All in all, things are looking great. Could not have asked for better.

carrier bearing.jpg

• Like 2

The bearing is always fine, it's the rubber surround that rots away.

Take the small rubber cap off the BCDD and turn the screw counter clockwise to dial down the sensitivity. This will reset the faster idle as the revs come down. Keep track of the 1 or 2 turns so if this doesn't help you can put back.

• Like 1

I missed this thread until now, and WOW! that is a beautiful truck.

I just bought a car and had it shipped 400 miles to me.  It was also a 3/4 ton truck with an enclosed trailer.  Happily, everything went very smooth..

More coincidence: I ordered a NOS wagon tailgate badge from someone is Saudi Arabia for $100.  Two weeks later, it arrived in the Nissan box and it was exactly as represented.  It was a Hail Mary purchase and I figured I could gamble the $100 because the badge I needed was that rare..

Anyway, nice find on that truck!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

After futsing around with the carb everyday after work, I gave up and took the truck to my mechanic. Turns out it wasn't just me, which does make me feel a bit better because I began to get really frustrated. Admittedly I haven't worked on a 720 in 25 years but I didn't think I forgot that much. Anyway, after trying to source the parts for the carb, we came to the conclusion just to get a Weber and be done with it. Since it was already at the shop, I let him do it. The perks of being a bit older and having a few extra bucks so you can say, just do it. Drove it home and runs like the 80k mile champ she is. Good grief, just awesome. Now that the main mechanical issues are freshened up, time to start looking at the future of the truck and where we go from here. 

20210928_165216(0).jpg

• Like 1