Transfer Case Seals

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Top front seal leaks where the primary drive shaft attaches is common as the (as I was told) oil is less likely to splash and lubricate it, and it dries out. All three seals need the companion flange unbolted and 'drawn off' to get at the seal. I've had good luck tapping on the back side of the flange with a large socket. Takes a lot of tapping but the flange slides off the spline. The seal can be pried out with a screwdriver and a new one tapped into place. I had to do all three of mine because I had switched to synthetic oil and that shit leaks past anything. Grease the seal lips so it doesn't run dry on start up.

• 2 weeks later...

Tu0tY8g.jpg

The larger O ring seals into the case and the smaller one seals the pinion shaft. The large one is a snug fit, probably the smaller as it is sealing a spinning shaft. Pull the roll pin and out comes the pinion.

Small seal #32709-14600*

* This seal is on almost every Nissan/Datsun with a mechanical/speed sensor speedometer made. The 720 doesn't list it separately as it's included with the speedometer sleeve as an assembly. This is from all other 71B transmissions and should work in the transfer cases.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

www.midwesttrans.com, Zumbrota, MN.

They should have what you need for your transfer case, they also rebuild them. I had them rebuild my TC 2 years ago and they are top notch.

They also rebuild Manual Transmissions, great workmanship and they know what they are doing. They also have a custom driveline shop.

• Like 1