Turns on but won’t stay running

Tizzytanner

Recently I did a head gasket job has z24 head, z20 block. took apart the carb replaced what looked like it needed to and did a thorough cleaning, there is no more leaks anymore runs like a charm then all of a sudden 3 weeks later it turns on but won’t idle! I want to assume it’s the carb (Weber 32/36) but I’m not sure if it’s electrical or what. Please help!

B58D0FE9-92A8-4780-8442-0FBF633EB9DD.jpeg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Give us a little more information to work with.

Does it run if you keep it above 1000 rpm, 1500 rpm, etc?  Can you drive it if you keep the rpms up?  Does it get worse at some point, or is it just all bad?  

What was going on when the problem started, or the last time you drove the vehicle before the problem started?

• Like 2

I'm having the same problem. I ran my 720 outta gas, was told it was the fuel filter to change and should be good. I have a stock carb though. I'm gonna change my fuel filter(s) today and see if that works.

I need higher rpm's constant or it will die when tries to idle. Starts up fine and normal, it all sounds good until you hit the gas and then she will die (unless constant and higher rpm's) even when the engine is warmed up.

Edited by goldengarat
  • Like 1

Are the carb jets easy to clean or change out? I don't know enough to do either.

I wanna change my carb to a Weber, is this something I can do myself? I don't know anything bout a carb and how to mess with one or change it out. I think a new carb should help my 720, not too sure though.....

Also what is that red filter on top of the engine? I don't have one of those.

Edited by goldengarat

There should be a hose from the valve cover to the air filter housing. It's part of the PCV system. Under heavy load the flow of fresh air into the engine reverses and the fumes are sucked into the carburetor. The Weber air filter does have a hole for a plastic elbow for the hose to join to. That red filter, though undeniably 'cute' does not stop fumes from escaping and can enter the cab.

At > $300 for a genuine Weber it's usually a lot cheaper to clean or fix the stock carburetor. Won't idle is a problem with the idle circuit and not a blocked jet which is for above idle speeds.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

There should be a hose from the valve cover to the air filter housing. It's part of the PCV system. Under heavy load the flow of fresh air into the engine reverses and the fumes are sucked into the carburetor. The Weber air filter does have a hole for a plastic elbow for the hose to join to. That red filter, though undeniably 'cute' does not stop fumes from escaping and can enter the cab.

At > $300 for a genuine Weber it's usually a lot cheaper to clean or fix the stock carburetor. Won't idle is a problem with the idle circuit and not a blocked jet which is for above idle speeds.

Does a Weber carb work better than a stock carb for a 720? I did mess with my idle while messing with my hoses and fuel filter, made the idle higher.

Would a metal PCV valve be better than a plastic one?

Edited by goldengarat
  • Like 1