620 aftermarket rim issue

We put 16 aftermarket rims on my sons truck and now have a pulsing at the brake pedal when you apply the brakes.

The rims are mag style with mag style nuts and crush washers, properly torqued. And torqued slowly up 5 ft/lbs at a time and rotated and shook tire between each. As recomended by the tire shop.

We have rotated the tires around and have the same issue.

We have put old steel rims back on and issue goes away, so we know it is in the rims/tires not in the brake drums etc.

The rims ARE  NOT Hub-centric. This where I think my problem is. On the front there is actually a very large gap between the hub of the truck and the rim. (like an inch gap) I do not know if there are hub rings for the front spindle on a 620?? But with the 6 nuts torqued down I would think this would hold it?

The tires are new and they put balancing beads in them so not to ruin the look of the rim. Maybe balance them and put actual weights inside the rims so they aren't seen?

Any ideas aside from having to ditch his new tires and rims????

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put 3 of the steel ones on and change one mag at a time to find out if one is causing the trouble.

I suppose one of the mags might be bent or perhaps a tire is out of round. Weights can compensate for this when spinning on a balance machine but when rolling on the ground it's a different story.

40 minutes ago, davis911s said:

The rims ARE  NOT Hub-centric. This where I think my problem is. On the front there is actually a very large gap between the hub of the truck and the rim. (like an inch gap) I do not know if there are hub rings for the front spindle on a 620?? But with the 6 nuts torqued down I would think this would hold it?

Any chance you can get a picture?

I had brand new steel rims put on my F150 for the past winter, and found 2 were out-of-round as balancing would never solve the problem. Chances are quite good you have at least 1 rim out-of-round. Like DatzenMike says, put on the known good steels and one at a time add or swap out your aftermarket rims. You'll know absolutely which is the culprit(s). BTW, if you bought them used, PO could have hit a curb or pothole hard enough to alter the rim without more visible damage. My brand-new steelies were probably dropped in shipping.