Rear window rubber for 68-73 Datsun 510

I am trying to find a quality rear window seal for my 72 Datsun 510. I have purchased several from reputable suppliers but have had to return them as they did not fit properly. One was over an inch too wide at the top and neither seal was molded with the soft 90 degree corners at the bottom. Any attempts I made to install the rubber resulted in puckering the bottom corners. I am attaching several photos. Please, before somebody gets in a twist over the one of the rubber on the car without the glass, I know the rubber goes onto the glass before it gets installed, the photo is for illustration only. I couldn't even get the rubber to stay on the glass let alone attempt installation on the car. If you have secret tips on how to make these seals that don't have the molded bottom corners work, it would be greatly appreciated. Or, if you have any ideas of who sells a seal that is not too wide at the top and has molded bottom corners to actually fit the glass, I am open to suggestions. My factory seal is shot and the window has been removed so I could perform some rust repair on the bottom sill.

Please help,

Desperate

• Sad 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

You are not alone in this. Window seals for almost all Datsuns are like unicorns.

Dang, that's brutal Mike, especially the Heisenberg clip. I tried to attach the photos but was swept away in the shuffle. Thanks Bro

• Sad 1

I know, right. What blows is they all claim that theirs fit perfectly. An un-named supplier claim they have sold over 5000 without complaint. Yet they were unable to supply me even one photo of a finished product. They would not respond to my complaint about the seal being over an inch too long at the top. Pretty unhappy but, I'm trying my best not to badmouth them.

• Like 1

I am currently communicating with Datsport but I would like to see photos of the rear seal installed. Draker, have you used their rear window seal? If so, can you provide a photo and installation tips?

Jesse, I have used Vintage in the past, good quality rubber but their rear window seal did not have the bottom corners molded so, I didn't try it. It was much better than Newdatsunparts whose seal was never going to work. I am finding, that none of the seals I have thus far found have the bottom corners molded for the rear seal. I still have 2 seals I ordered from other vendors somewhere in transit or, I got screwed again and they are never going to send them. So far, I have thrown away about $125 bucks and have nothing but a hard lesson and some vendor grief to show for it. Maybe I can find something at the DatsLocos show/swap-meet in Manteca, CA. in a few weeks. Oh, for the good old days when you could go to the Datsun dealer and buy the parts over the counter. I know, my age is showing again. Almost 40 years behind the wheel of Datsun's.

Anyway, thanks guys for your helpful thoughts and suggestions,

Shiloe in Atascadero

• Like 1

I put a Datsport rear window seal on my wagon.  The seal was good quality and fit well.  There was a tiny problem where the window trim channel had a small snafu. Two minutes and an exacto knife cured the problem straight away.  I bought nearly every rubber piece they offer for a wagon.  Some of those piece are a little fiddly, but I suspect the NOS stuff is probably the same.  Nice people and great to deal with..

• Like 2

Thank you Carter. I am also looking at the Precision seal for my car. Their stock photo does not appear to have the bottom corners molded, it may be a generic photo. I have a supplier of their seals trying to get ahold of one so we can see fore sure. Additionally, I am trying to find someone who has photos of any of the rear seals mounted on their vehicle. I would also like to hear of any tricks they use to get that straight rubber seal to conform to the soft 90 degree bottom corner.

Thanks for your help,

Shiloe

• Like 1

I've not installed a rear datsport seal. But I've used lots of their other stuff. I've just never pulled the rear glass, so never needed it (yet). I bought vintage rubber for my front glass on one of my cars.. and it arrived as a precision gasket, made in Thailand. If I wanted that I would have bought Sunpha seals.. or Just a precision gasket from ebay. When I confronted Vintage Rubber, he claimed he owned all the tooling for Precision rubber.. But yet the package was clearly marked Precision, made in Thailand with his part number sticker over the Precision part number.

The fit of the gasket was fine, installed fine. Hasn't cracked but the car has been garaged since installed. Since then I've used Datsport, and wouldn't go back. They might be a bit busy, but there is a reason for that. People from all over the world order their products because they have the best selection and best quality.

Nicoya is a good dude. Bought some stuff from him also. Worth checking for sure.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Draker said:

Since then I've used Datsport, and wouldn't go back. They might be a bit busy, but there is a reason for that. People from all over the world order their products because they have the best selection and best quality.

Nicoya is a good dude. Bought some stuff from him also. Worth checking for sure.

I bought so much stuff from Datsport while doing the wagon that I got to know Tracy and Baz reasonably well.  They have their rubber stuff made locally and NOT from Thailand or China. 

Nicoya does the same.  He's also a total 510 guy.

• Like 3
On 5/7/2021 at 9:51 AM, shyrocha said:

I am currently communicating with Datsport but I would like to see photos of the rear seal installed. Draker, have you used their rear window seal? If so, can you provide a photo and installation tips?

Jesse, I have used Vintage in the past, good quality rubber but their rear window seal did not have the bottom corners molded so, I didn't try it. It was much better than Newdatsunparts whose seal was never going to work. I am finding, that none of the seals I have thus far found have the bottom corners molded for the rear seal. I still have 2 seals I ordered from other vendors somewhere in transit or, I got screwed again and they are never going to send them. So far, I have thrown away about $125 bucks and have nothing but a hard lesson and some vendor grief to show for it. Maybe I can find something at the DatsLocos show/swap-meet in Manteca, CA. in a few weeks. Oh, for the good old days when you could go to the Datsun dealer and buy the parts over the counter. I know, my age is showing again. Almost 40 years behind the wheel of Datsun's.

Anyway, thanks guys for your helpful thoughts and suggestions,

Shiloe in Atascadero

I bought their front one, I did not know that about the rear one, good to know! Thank you! 

• Like 2

Yea, I am pretty anxious to get the rear seal so I can finish up my paint. Right now the window is taped in and looks like crap. I am repainting in the original burnt orange but, it's currently about 2/3 new paint, some old paint and some epoxy primer. I still have some minor rust to cut out and fab patch panels, minor body work, and spray the little guy. Poor little 72 sedan. I'll be pretty stoked when it's done. After all these years, I still love driving my 510 more than any of my other cars. Thanks guys for all your help. I will keep you updated when I find an acceptable rear seal, maybe it can save someone else the heartache and expense I've gone through.

Shiloe

• Like 2

Hey Hang_510, did you install the rear seal or did you have an installer put it in? What was the trick to get the bottom corners to conform to the soft 90 degree bend at the bottom of the window? Thanks for the help.

Angliagt, Thanks for the tip on Scott's Old Rubber in Australia. I was able to use the link to look at his product as well as pricing. Good call.

Thanks everyone for the help, Shiloe

After buying an ill-fitting set for my Cortina MKII race car from 

a place in England,I bought a set from Spectrum/Scott's (same company),they

fit perfectly.

• Like 1

I have Scott's product on my grey 1200. It is highly possible they have been on there for 10 years and are still in good shape. Keeping the vehicle indoors helps greatly as I live in the DSW(you know, like PNW only Desert is the first word).

• Like 2