66 Datsun 520

grimdadsun

Hey all, I am picking up a datsun 520 for free. it is relatively clean as far as body goes. needs interior work and the regular work around with brakes and tires and all that. 

I was told however, that the engine is seized. Which means I will be needing a new one. I am not looking to do a ka or sr swap just yet, I just want a driver at this point. does anyone have a j13 or L16 laying around they would be willing to part with? I'm just looking for a running motor while I restore the rest of it to my liking.

Thanks! 

pictures to come. I don't know what uploading system ya'll use.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

I put an L20B in my 66 520 and ended up doing a custom firewall to get enough room for the radiator and dual fans.

The J13 post.

https://ratsun.net/topic/78783-compression-in-my-j13-engine/

I just found an L20B rebuilt with a trans to match it 5 minutes down the road from me. I am going to look at it tonight.

• Like 1

ANYTHING can be done with a wire feed wrench. Nothing is impossible if you are motivated. You'll need to make frame mounts farther forward for an L series and I would guess a 521 oil pan might help. Charlie?

• Like 1

Actually Mike you cut off the front J13 mounts, bolt on the L motor mounts cut out of another vehicle, bolt to the motor brackets with the rubber mounts, set the engine in the engine compartment, bolt up the trans to the engine.  Center and level the engine and trans. and weld the mounts to the frame.  Then you can figure what you are going to build for a transmission mount.  I suggest using a 720 transmission mount and fab a bracket for it. 

• Like 1