Bone Head Question

None_zero

What is the U-shaped part of the suspension that sits around the shock absorber called I think the diagram I was looking at referred to it as a 54533 but I cant find the name of the part anywhere and that number doesnt bring up a part on rock auto maybe I should add this is a 1984 720 pickup

Edited by None_zero
  • Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The upper control arm does not wear out or need replacement. The ball joint and rubber bushings are replaceable. If damaged in an accident, probably the best place for a replacement is one from a wrecking yard. '83 2wd and up are the same but 2 and 4wd are different.

https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/

• Like 1

Ok I found it by going to Advanced auto website and copying their part number and then going back to rock auto and searching that number. That bearing has to be pressed in I assume. Could I accomplish such a feat with a bench vise?

• Like 1

So the story goes like this, Some dumbass (me) left my truck out of gear and went inside, straight to a facedown position on the mattress from which I did not move until I was awakened the next day to the question why is your truck in the front yard? ( I parked it in the back) so I went outside to find the old girl just as they said in the front yard making out with a cedar. Crunched up the front end pretty good but no frame damage I an makin a custom grill to replace the old one and everything else has been straightening fender/Hood straightening the bumper back out and all that, Had to spring for some of the lights but they arent to high only problem was I couldnt get the passanger bumper mount down where it needed to be so that my bumper would set on the truck straight. I ended up bolting it back on and pulling it with another truck and lo and behold it worked pretty much the bumper is a little off but youd have to really be looking to see it . Problem is we apparently pulled too hard on it because it made the upper control arm bite into the shock absorberI cant tell if it bent the control arm or just screwed up the shock I am about to go check the other side so I can compare the shape of the one to the other 

• Like 1

ok after another more comprehensive look at this new issue I dont think its the upper control arms.  the UCA is biting into the shock on both sides and I think it maybe the crossbar that is out of whack, That is the stabilizer or sway bar however you summon one. ... of course another part that is out of stock the world over, well fuck a duck and, screw a guinea I'll probably have to fabricate one before I find any.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, vicdat said:

.....recognizing your own "boneheadedness" is half the battle...

..... hold my beer.

The sway bar wouldn't force the shock into the UCA. Maybe it's better if you post a picture. 

• Like 2