General ignorance - shipping stuff-

So, I want to bitch, there's no one around and I've quit going to the bar. It's a little thing... I called a UPS store and asked if they had cling wrap, the kind that sticks to itself and is heavy duty, the young girl that answered said, "Yes, we have it." "Great I replied", and drove to the store. I wished to use the cling wrap to encase a pair of CJ5 body panels, that I recently sold. I boxed the panels for shipping, but wasn't happy with the cushion in the box, as it could potentially slide around, while in transit and expose the panels to damage. The panels and the box, were under a tarp; on sawhorses in my back yard. I get to the UPS store and likely the same, cute and chipper girl, steps up to assist. "I am here about the cling wrap." "Here it is", exclaims the girl, as she touches a roll of the sought cling wrap. "How much do you want for it". I asked. "Oh, it's not for sale, we use it to wrap your items, if you ship with us." I left the UPS store. On my way home, a thunderstorm hit with 30+mph winds. The intense wind part only lasted 10-15 minutes, but it scared the general population and traffic slowed to a crawl. The wind, blew off the tarp and the rain soaked the CJ panels. The box is gone,the steel panels are fine, but damnit it all.

• Sad 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unsecured cargo. Big fine.

pointing | Trending Gifs

No.... 86 that.

That's really shitty. Yeah, I'll go with that. I've noticed in this 11 dimension string theory universe that no matter what happens there is always room for it to have been much worse.

• Like 3

I've found that the boxes that windshields come in

work great for shipping bigger & bulkier parts.Not sure if

that helps.

Those UPS stores are a ripoff.I went to ship a large

car part,& there price was way higher than the regular UPS.

• Like 1
On 5/1/2021 at 4:55 PM, datzenmike said:

Unsecured cargo. Big fine.

No.... 86 that.

That's really shitty. Yeah, I'll go with that. I've noticed in this 11 dimension string theory universe that no matter what happens there is always room for it to have been much worse.

On 5/1/2021 at 7:18 PM, angliagt said:

I've found that the boxes that windshields come in

work great for shipping bigger & bulkier parts.Not sure if

that helps.

Those UPS stores are a ripoff.I went to ship a large

car part,& there price was way higher than the regular UPS.

Thank you for the solace gentlemen, I custom built the box, that was destroyed in the rain. The new "custom box" is coming together nicely, many improvements. It is unfortunate that I know, through never ending experience, how much easier, cheaper, and smoother, custom ventures are the second time, or third or fourth....

In regards to shipping "oversized" packages, I am really taken it in the shorts; prices have gone up again, from last month.

It is rare that I ship or receive large items, the last time was more than five years back. The CJ5 panels are the generic (no Jeep stamping) and are light. The box is 85L x 29W x 6H and each panel weighs a little under 20lbs. Normally or I guess in the pre covid past. I've just about had it with "Pandemic" to excuse all raising prices. So, pre covid, Fedex/UPS would charge extra for a big box and extra if I wanted "Fragile", or the like, plastered on the box. Now, both Fedex and UPS use "dimensional" shipping Voodoo.  I believe it is a worthless to keep us worker ants busy. Their data will, self justify and you pay more, again and again. The cheapest quote for shipping during non-peak hours (more on this later) with no addons, e.g. No Saturday delivery, sent from a commercial address to a commercial address, no signature required, etc. etc  was $300 not including tax, and I will wager, when the final bill arrives, that $300 will be fat with fees. When looking at FedEx fees, the fee for sending an unauthorized oversize package, caught my eye. First, how do you send an unauthorized package? I triple checked my box and I should be good, but it is a concern, because the fee for an unauthorized oversize package is $920USD

Returning to the "peak" surcharge, I only checked FedEx,but it is  very likely that UPS maintains a similar,  if not identical, policy. The peak surcharge is exacted,  during the pre Christmas/Christmas holiday, or other known, shipping intensive events.  Due to pandemic, blah, blah,blah, ALL packages are subject to the peak surcharge  on all shipments, until further notice.

• Sad 1

Large items, you should look into shipping by bus. Much more cheaper but take a little longer to arrive to it's destination. Plus the receiver needs to go pick up the item at the terminal. The terminal will call the receiver to let them know their package has arrived. Think they have a tracking system now. Ask if they do.

If your using Fedex and have a Fedex account ( charge card ). Make sure you check your account, there will be hidden fee's just right before they collect from your credit card. This has happen to me several times. I contact the credit card company and get those hidden fee's back. To me that's stealing behind your back without your knowing. just a heads up to who ever has a Fedex account. 

I never use UPS cause there shipping rates are higher then FedEx. 

• Like 3

Years ago, I wanted to ship a gun.  I don't remember to who, or why.  But, it was going to a dealer, or a manufacturer, I guar-an-darn-tee dat part.  If it was a manufacturer, then they had already "given" me a label. 

So, I call the UPS store and ask them if I can ship a gun there...no, you can do it at a gun store.  Wrong answer...gun stores don't ship guns.  UPS, USPS and FedEx ship guns and you don't have to use a 3rd party ship...often/usually to receive, but never to ship, just as long as my 3rd sentence is correct, for the destination....which it was.   We sorta go roundy-round as I clarify what I need to do, and she gives the same answer.  What I really wanted to know was could I use the place 2 minutes away, or did I have to drive...short answer is that the UPS "quickee" stores can't do dat.

I drive another 3-5 miles and go to the main store and am gone in 2 minutes, w/no additional hoops to jump through.

• Like 1

I bought two, TWO, NOS 521 fenders on eBay on two different occasions from two different sellers. The first one shipped the fender in a giant bubble wrap envelope. Lots of damage in shipping - duh. When I bought the second fender I related my packing woes from the first fender. The seller assured me it would be packed well. It arrived in a bicycle box with basically zero packing material inside and lots of damage. WTF.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2