Help with some Maintenance

goldengarat

First off I don't know much about my 84 720 2wd 2.4L Manual Trans, or engines much. It has been running like crap lately, meaning when I start it, wants to die. When I push on the gas and let go it will die and unless I put constant pressure or push down acceleration. Also my engine temp gauge and fuel gauge sometimes don't work and usually work when they want. Also I leak oil and have to fill oil every week if I drive it all week. The oil seems to be coming out the passenger side of the middle bottom of the engine. Far as I know I have all factory parts on it, got it from my dad he didn't say much about it. It's got almost 140k miles on the engine.

I was wanting to know what are some parts I can swap out myself being a neophyte, and that would help this thing run better. I just bought a fuel filter and waiting for it to come in. I got small hands and can get into places, I changed out my radiator fluid bout 2 weeks ago and changed out my coolant reservoir. So much rust in that radiator.......

Edited by goldengarat
Forgot to add some details
  • Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pull a spark plug from each cylinder, post a pic and that will help guide us with your next steps. Could be a lot of things. Could be the carb, could be ignition, could be compression...  spark plugs should help pinpoint the issue.

• Like 1

For $10 just change the sender.

Valve cover gasket is another possibility so just change it while you....

Check the valve lash. 0.012" on all, engine hot.

Confirm that both exhaust, and intake side plugs are firing. Just put a plug in any easy to get at wire to the intake side and then the exhaust and lay it on a grounded surface and turn the engine with the starter. Got spark? While there inspect the plugs, wiring, cap and rotor for wear and age and replace as needed. Always keep old parts for spares.

If above is good have the timing checked and set 3 degrees BTDC.

This completes a very abbreviated tune up and eliminates some obvious things before we go farther.

Unfortunately the Z24 has a habit of blowing the head gaskets at 100k intervals. They often present with what you describe. What you can do, and should do to avoid this, is to re-torque the head bolts. This won't fix the problem but it will help prevent it. On a COLD engine take the valve cover off (another good time for replacing the valve cover gasket) Loosen ONE bolt only and tighten to 60 ft. lbs. Now move to the next bolt and do the same. You can do them in any order you like just be sure that only one bolt is loose at a time and the engine cold. Borrow a torque wrench.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Oil sender notorious for leaking. Mid engine under intake. BRITISH PIPE THREAD universal metric sensors leak don't work. Make sure you get the right sender and use a wrench on the base. Do not twist hard with your hand or it will ruin it.

If you have to replace the oil pressure sender don't forget the BPT to SAE adapter!  They sell for about $4 and can be found in the car parts stores at the aftermarket oil pressure meters section.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, the stock Datsun/Nissan oil pressure sender is a different thread than over the counter oil pressure senders. That is why MikeRL411 said to use an adapter.

Don

• Like 1

Thank you for the help fellas! When I am able, should be next couple days, I'll get to do the things y'all told me to do.

Also I read that the Rear Crankshaft seal has been known to leak on the Z24, could that be the oil leak possibly?

• Like 1

Ask for a Nissan sender and you'll get the correct part with the proper threads.

The rear seal leaks no worse than any other Datsun Nissan engine. If the new sender stops the leak then you found your cause. A quart a week is a serious leak so don't forget it could be running down from the valve cover gasket too.

• Like 2