1986 D21 4 wd conversion?

gunsmith

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the 720 frame ok?

1/  Stick your Z24 engine in the Hardbody with the 720 electric fuel pump..... and just enjoy it.

2/  Swap the D21 body onto the 720 frame. The Hardbody has a wider wheel tread than the 720 so the wheels will look a little tucked in. Use the 720 wiring harness.

3/  Cutting all the 4x4 parts off the 720 and fitting and welding it all into a longer and wider frame? and make it work? Do 2/ above

• Like 1

I vote sell Diesel Dentures what he wants then sell the rest of the parts from both trucks and go buy the truck you want.  You could literally spend years swapping parts and then not be happy with the results.  Please do not set yourself up for failure in being happy with a hodge podge truck.

I am not saying you do not have the skills for this endeavor but do to the wider frame of the hardbody there will be a lot of fab work to get the 720 drive train in to the D21 2 wheel chassis.  By the time you finish this creation you will most likely have spent more than it would have cost to buy the truck you want.

I have played with the D21 frames and because of the width and other designs the use of the D21 frame under earlier trucks is not worth the work to me.  The 720 frames are the ones to use under the early 620s, 521s, 520s, and even the 320s (Stoffregen Motorsports narrowed a front clip from a 720 and installed it on a 320).

I have set 720 cabs and beds on the D21 frame and with all the mods needed deemed it not worth the trouble to morph the 720 to the D21 frame.  Now you are talking swapping the drive train yes it is doable but is it worth it?

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 2