frustrated. EI conversion B210

jackfruit

b210 points distributor

tried converting 77 B210 points to EI with D4K distributor, corresponding coil, and GM HEI electronic Ignition module, and wired according to this http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=GM_HEI, bypassing the Ballast resister. no spark. 11.5v from coil then 9v with key on. if the GM module is mounted with metal plate against car, I lose all power like there's a ground issue, but don't know how/where. I tried going through ballast. nothing. something else I'm missing? and yes the D4K distributor and coil work because I have a different 78 B210 that uses D4K and these work.

so I scrapped D4K after trying many things and tried pertronix EI 1740 for the a14 points distributor. the magnet sleeve, from now two different Pertronix kit models, does not fit over the top of the stem (see pic). Options?

The original points were replaced with new points but struggling to maintain spark at all gap settings within range. thus the EI conversion effort.

any suggestion to resolve the D4K or pertronix kit magnet sleeve issue, would be great. maybe I'm just out of my depth. 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

D4K doesn't help much. Need to know what you have to see where to go with this. Look on the side of the distributor for the part number, begins 22100-????? need the other 5 digits.

EI distributor is H7680. the original points distributor is H7206

22100-H7680 is a B-210 A14 '78 model year Federal (non California) D4F7-01 remote igniter distributor.

OK I thought for a moment you were converting  a points distributor. Alright this should work.

Try this. Ignore the 1.6 ohms on the coil. You want a '78 and up coil of 0.75 to 1.0 ohms.

EI HEI module wiring

I don't know of the Club 1200 mentions this but is failure to spark reverse the RED and GREEN wires on the W and G terminals.

19 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

22100-H7680 is a B-210 A14 '78 model year Federal (non California) D4F7-01 remote igniter distributor.

OK I thought for a moment you were converting  a points distributor. Alright this should work.

Try this. Ignore the 1.6 ohms on the coil. You want a '78 and up coil of 0.75 to 1.0 ohms.

EI HEI module wiring

I don't know of the Club 1200 mentions this but is failure to spark reverse the RED and GREEN wires on the W and G terminals.

yes. the 78 a14 model non-cali distributor, which I have a 78 b210 that uses this as well. I have used my 78's coil, as well as the new coil on the 78, and both work on the 78. are you saying I should reverse the W and G? I have it wired as seen on the diagram you provided and have both bypassed and tried it through the ballast resistor. with this not working, is there any possibility the regulator is preventing it? the 78 doesn't have a regulator but think it's internal to the alternator, the 77 has external regulator and I have left it as is. one of my issues is I don't have a great understanding of why for wiring, so following diagrams. 

The red and green wires is a small pulse from the magnetic pick up. It won't hurt anything to reverse them. The pulse will be 'reversed'. Something to do with the triggering of the EI or the HEI circuitry.

Is the HEI unit grounded??? Has to be grounded as all the coil current is grounded through it.

As long as you have about 12v it should work. The regulator doesn't matter. I had (briefly) an EI distributor on my externally regulated 710. It worked as it should. I changed to an internal regulated alternator later.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

The red and green wires is a small pulse from the magnetic pick up. It won't hurt anything to reverse them. The pulse will be 'reversed'. Something to do with the triggering of the EI or the HEI circuitry.

Is the HEI unit grounded??? Has to be grounded as all the coil current is grounded through it.

As long as you have about 12v it should work. The regulator doesn't matter. I had (briefly) an EI distributor on my externally regulated 710. It worked as it should. I changed to an internal regulated alternator later.

I believe it's grounded. I've attached it to the body with metal screws (it has a metal plate on back and metal insulated screw holes) along with a wire from the plate/screw to the ground bolt (where the black battery cable goes). tried with W/G both ways. something wrong obviously...with GM module touching body/grounded, getting .9v measuring negative coil to positive battery. 11.5v positive coil to neg battery. 

quick side question. difficult to tell from the 78 and 77 wiring diagram PDFs, but the BW & BR going to positive coil. what about the blue wire? I'd attach images but don't know how in this forum.

It almost sounds like you might have a bad HEI module. For testing purposes, I would wire it up like the diagram Mike posted, only get your 12v source strait from the battery. Now if you wire it up this way and it works, you have a problem with the 12v source you are trying to use. If it doesn't work, you probably have a bad HEI module or it doesn't have a good ground. BE CARFUL, if you use the 12v source strait from your battery, you will not be able to shut off your car with out unhooking the battery. 

On 4/24/2021 at 8:17 AM, fiveoneO said:

It almost sounds like you might have a bad HEI module. For testing purposes, I would wire it up like the diagram Mike posted, only get your 12v source strait from the battery. Now if you wire it up this way and it works, you have a problem with the 12v source you are trying to use. If it doesn't work, you probably have a bad HEI module or it doesn't have a good ground. BE CARFUL, if you use the 12v source strait from your battery, you will not be able to shut off your car with out unhooking the battery. 

...thanks. as in bypass the coil for both positive and negative wires?

The red and green wires send a small pulse to the HEI. The pulse could be + but the HEI needs a trigger negative one. I think that may be mentioned in the Club 1200 article or maybe Jason Gray's EI article. Worth a try