Tire size on stock height 720?

Diesel Dentures

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Standard tire size for the 720 is 195/75R14 or 205/75R14 So any tire that is 25.5" to 26" tall is fine. You do NOT want to run a taller tire just to fill the wheel wells. Not only will the speedometer be wildly incorrect but this will affect the overall rear gearing and make the already poor acceleration even more sluggish.

It you think there is too much space above the tires, lower the body.

• Like 3

Thanks y’all! I stumbled across my spare (which is the same wheel) but the tire on it is a 235/70/15. I mounted it onto the truck and it comes pretty close to what I’m looking for and rubs at almost full turn. So I’m thinking a 225/70/15 will be a good fit for what I’m looking for. I’ll post a pic of it tomorrow. Thank you guys again!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

what's the widest i can go??

I have 215/60/r16 right now and it only rubs if you really crank the wheel. My wheels are a little offset too. I am looking at getting new tires right now since the old ones sat for 7 years and it shakes bad now. I want new rims too but i am going to correct the offset in preparation to lower the truck. can't do that on the offset i have right now.

Edited by A guy named Rick
  • Like 1

I ended up sticking with 215's but went with a 215/55/r16 vs the 215/60/r16. For some reason these had a higher load rating than the 60's from Road Hugger. I figure more weight i can load in the bed, even though I'll probably never max out the weight on the rear tires without killing the truck in the process. Just more peace of mind I guess 

• Like 1

235/70R15s are 27.95" tall and no wonder they rub on a tight turn. Stock tires are 25.5" tall and 7.68 wide and tons of clearance.

Running a 3.5" taller tire is the same as changing your differential from a 3.90 down to a 3.58.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, A guy named Rick said:

I ended up sticking with 215's but went with a 215/55/r16 vs the 215/60/r16. For some reason these had a higher load rating than the 60's from Road Hugger. I figure more weight i can load in the bed, even though I'll probably never max out the weight on the rear tires without killing the truck in the process. Just more peace of mind I guess 

If you run a smaller tire it's going to feel like a massive power increase.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, A guy named Rick said:

Likely a stiffer ride too although the ride quality varies between makers of the same size tires. I had 235 Uniroyals on the front of my 620 christ they were stiff even after deflating them to minimum PSI. Just by luck I scored a pair of Yokahama Superdigger Vs that were very soft. Way better. I think each tire could carry 2,000 pounds so 8,000 pounds on a truck  weighing 2,750 and a 1,000 pound load.

• Like 1

215/60r16 Road Hugger GTP A/S is a 95V, 1521 load capacity and 149 mph top speed

215/55/r16 Road Hugger GTP A/S is a 97H, 1608 load capacity and 130 mph top speed

Max wright with load and driver on 2wd 720 according to my door plate says approximately 4400 I believe, but you know some people would try to push it a little more 😉 😄 however yeah, I probably should have been ok with the others but the difference is small and I went with what they had in stock. They're just some kinda cheap tires for now until I put more work into the truck and want to get better tires and some nice rims. 

Edited by A guy named Rick
  • Like 1