84’ 2wd. Randomly started running like absolute shit

Andrew evans

I have an 84 2wd with the Z24. I bought it a couple months ago in okay condition. It ran good but not great. I replaced the carburetor, distributor cap and rotor, new wires, and just an all around general tune up. On my way home from work on the freeway my truck completely fell on it’s face and I lost all power, I pulled over and noticed there was a LOT of black smoke coming out. I instantly thought it was my head gasket but I’m not sure. I checked all my plugs and they all have oil residue on them. I’m not mechanically inclined and this is my first project vehicle. Any help or tips is very much appreciated this truck means the world to meeeee🥺 

• Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Black is often unburned gas from an over rich condition. The causes are varied but you might  check...

Flooding most likely. Look at the small round sight glass on the front of the carburetor. Gas should be close to the dot.

If you haven't, it's past time that you try to prevent the head gasket from blowing. Next time the engine is cold from siting over night, loosen only one head bolt and tighten again to 60 ft lbs. Only then move to the next bolt. Done this way, one at a time, you can do in any order you like.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I spent months trying to get my '83 running right. Turned out the fuel mixture solenoid in the carb had gone bad. It's supposed to switch on and off at about 10 hertz, but mine was either stuck on or off. Found a new one on ebay for a little over $100

• Like 1