Datsun 210 Short Throw Shifter

Hello! When I bought my 1979 Datsun 210 it came with a very long shifter and has a lot of play. I bought new bushings for the shifter but I was wondering if there is a short throw shifter kit for the b310 or something that will fit the b310? I found this shifter from maddat but it seems a little pricey.

https://www.maddat.com.au/products/short-throw-shifter-a-series-gearbox?variant=34111977390220

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$125 isn't too bad, but the shipping is a killer. AUD got stronger over the last year.. a year ago it would have been $92+ship.

I don't know of any other kits. Check datsun1200.com, it's got everything you need to know about A series drive trains.

Cut yours sparingly just above the bulge on the bottom and remove a couple of inches and weld together. Should be hidden by the vinyl covering or rubber boot.

What ever you do, the shifter must remain in reach for every gear while you sit normally with your back against the seat. If you have to lean forward even the slightest, you have failed. Your right hand should drop off the steering wheel and right onto the shifter. You can bend the shifter in a vice by putting a pipe over the end for leverage.

Keep in mind that shortening the shifter reduces the lever arm length which will increase the effort. It will not shift any faster but the pattern area and travel distance is reduced.

v5FWD0x.jpg

QfxKd3I.jpg

I'm using the last one above with the bend. I also extended the length below the fulcrum pin and re drilled the hole for it higher. This shortens the shift throw but keeps the shifter long enough you don't have to fumble around groping for it.

uIe5rSb.jpg

3HLChRD.jpg

This shortens the front to back distance but not the side to side width.