Newbie Here - Need help with my new acquisition

Riz

Dear All, thank you for the add. I recently acquired a Datsun Bluebird. I have reasons to believe that it is a 410 but the frame number of registration card states P411-01309 and for engine number it says J-029999. Date of registration says 01 January 1965 so it cant be a 65 but 1964. Unfortunately, the vehicle is missing the ID Tag so I am unable to trace from the VIN. The engine displacement on registration papers say 1159CC (could be an omission and could be actually 1189CC). Now with this displacement, it should be an E-1 series engine but then then engine number has a pre-fix of 'J'. Secondly, the 411's were only introduced in 1965 or 1966. Were the 410s also offered with Chassis numbers starting with a P411 prefix? Thank you in advance for solving the mystery and for letting me know what I have actually bought 🙂. Much Peace, Riz

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Riz said:

Dear All, thank you for the add. I recently acquired a Datsun Bluebird. I have reasons to believe that it is a 410 but the frame number of registration card states P411-01309 and for engine number it says J-029999. Date of registration says 01 January 1965 so it cant be a 65 but 1964. Unfortunately, the vehicle is missing the ID Tag so I am unable to trace from the VIN. The engine displacement on registration papers say 1159CC (could be an omission and could be actually 1189CC). Now with this displacement, it should be an E-1 series engine but then then engine number has a pre-fix of 'J'. Secondly, the 411's were only introduced in 1965 or 1966. Were the 410s also offered with Chassis numbers starting with a P411 prefix? Thank you in advance for solving the mystery and for letting me know what I have actually bought 🙂. Much Peace, Riz

1-  It's a  rtght hand drive 411 [Japan domestic or British roadside rule nation]  see the P411 registration card.  Please verify with the chassis number stamped on the right side of the firewall..

2-  "Date of registration" is open to interpretation.  In some states it means the year first registered in that juristiction.  Not necessarily the product year.

3-  The engine number prefix "J" indicates the probable engine displacement is 1300 cc.

4-  There is no VIN on early cars so info is not traceable by VIN.  These vehicles have chassis nimbers which indicate model sequence, order of production and sometimes optional upgrades to the basic desigh. The chassis number has less digits than a VIN so will not enter into common trace software. Like 410 [basic] and the redesign 411 to to eliminate minor driver complaints.

5-  Again, 410 cars only came with P410 or export R410 chassis numbers.  R410 would be export or Okinawa vehicles.

Thanks a lot Mike - much appreciated. 

I will certainly look for the chassis number in the engine bay on my next home visit. This car popped up for sale while I way away and asked a friend to assist with the purchase. The transaction has been done but I haven't yet seen the car. Been meaning to do some research and start collecting the correct parts. 

Fingers crossed Mike.  I work in somalia and will be able to get personal with the new acquisition during the next home visit and also bring the car to islamabad. It is currently resting at my friend'splace on the historic city ofor Lahore.  Few ended up in our country and a handful are survivin. Parts are very hard to come by but there might be some waiting for me! 

Don't neglect looking at Austin mechanical parts.  Datsun resumed building cars post WW2 by assembling Austin cars and is still minimally addicted to Austin design and sometimes parts. e.g. the weird thread on the engine block oil sensor attach point.  Despite SAE or Metric standard threads on most parts this one unit remains BTS spec .