521 fuel issues

Primerdimer

2 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

i HEARD OF THESE NEWER PUMPS THE ARMS BREAKING OFF.

THE ecentric I would swap out as it has the burr in it. migh be the issue of the 2nd one breaking. catching the edge.

Dang, you wouldn’t happen to have one I could buy off you would you? 

17 hours ago, d.p said:

they have Niki ones on ebay and I am using an airtex which was recommended by another member here. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V81FHI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tried ordering but says it can’t ship to my address in CA. gives me like 15 reasons why it might not be able to, but no definitive answer to why. Hmm. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Primerdimer said:

Dang, you wouldn’t happen to have one I could buy off you would you? 

tried ordering but says it can’t ship to my address in CA. gives me like 15 reasons why it might not be able to, but no definitive answer to why. Hmm. 

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/airtex,1340,fuel+pump,6256 

Just google Airtex 1340 and pick your poison and confirm you have a spacer between the fuel pump and the head where it mounts.  

but the thing on the end of the cam sprocket ,the eccentric  should be swapped out  looks bad or file the sharp grooves down.

one can always go with e 3 pound fuel pump.  find a switchable 12volt and splice into that.  But I run stock Japan made pumps if one can still find them.

I bought 2 Carter clones(most likely China as they are cheap) but look like stock japan made one.

I seen the made in Mexico gold cap ones also. those were sold for years.

• Like 1

My 710 came with one of those crappy after market pumps. Found the original in the back with some old plugs and wires. Put the old one back on and been on for over 10 years now and works just fine. Threw the other one away.

Ok, so first I filed the eccentric down smooth. 

I got the new airtex pump installed with the spacer. The previous new pump arm snapped off clean and didn’t leave any parts in my timing chain section that I couldn’t retrieve. 

This new pump has the inlet and outlet in different directions so I had to route my gas line a little different than it was. 

Tried to start it and nothing. Check the pump outlet and nothing is pumping out. Super confused.  Guess I’ll pull the valve cover again and see if anything has changed since trying to start it...

idk why this fuel pump swap has to be such a pain, seems pretty straight forward. I’ll post pics of the old and new pump, maybe you guys might spot what I’m missing...

I would have pump it by hand to feel for suction .

I think that is a 620 pump.

I would put the stock type fuel filter in and add that one you have also (where the clip goes then 2nd one to the carb.

got to crank it a few to get the pump working. unless you have other issues

you have gas in the tank????

take the fuel cap off and see what happens

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
7 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I would have pump it by hand to feel for suction .

I think that is a 620 pump.

I would put the stock type fuel filter in and add that one you have also (where the clip goes then 2nd one to the carb.

got to crank it a few to get the pump working. unless you have other issues

you have gas in the tank????

take the fuel cap off and see what happens

I’ll try taking the gas cap off.

I cranked it for like 30 seconds in 10 second intervals. 

I don’t know what the stock type filter is like but I’ll try to source one. 
thanks

14 hours ago, Primerdimer said:

I’ll try taking the gas cap off.

I cranked it for like 30 seconds in 10 second intervals. 

I don’t know what the stock type filter is like but I’ll try to source one. 
thanks

You could always try a little starter fluid in the carburator when you try to start it.....

Getting the engine to fire up would move the pump faster and might help get the fuel moving.... 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

crap I bought 2 of those fuel pumps with arm that broke off. Sold under Spetra and Carter. Looks like a stock 521 but assume China

Let us know if this fixed yet???

Got gas in Tank???????

Ok, so I took the gas cap off and tried again... before, no fuel was even getting pulled into the fuel filter... now with the cap off, fuel is getting pulled into the filter but none is coming out of the output of the pump...  guess it’s time to take it off and try to pump by hand?? Just seems weird that it could pull the fuel to the filter but then just stop up in the pump... what does removing the gas cap do that allowed it to pull the gas? Do I maybe have a vent clogged?

make sure your hoses are not cracked and your sucking air.

I had this happen once. it was near a mating pipe, for me right at the elbow for the pump a bend i crack the hose when taking it off or soemthing like that and old pump was still good but notice it when putting the hose back on and sad FUCK!!!!!! this is it. as the new pump didnt work also.

get a bottle and put some in there and re hook it back up and see if it works then

where thatfuel  hose come up from the body is it clamped good?

Edited by banzai510(hainz)