Datsun 210 MORE POWER

I've owned my 1979 Datsun 210 for a little over a month now and over that time i've been able to get the car back into full running shape. I changed all the gaskets and seals along with a new performance radiator and electric fan. I haven't run into any issues yet and i'm still currently figuring out if I can fit bmw e36 seats inside. My main question however is about more power. I'd prefer to not go with a full engine swap just to save time, effort, and time driving the car on the road. Would it be possible to fit a small turbo to the car pushing maybe 6-8 pounds of boost or would that be moronic? The trans is feeling tired and I was planning on swapping in a 5 speed plus a lim slip dif when I get the change. Open to any suggestions from anyone! 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An LSD would just be an expensive part that is doing nothing and just along for the ride on a B-210. Before a turbo I would spend the money on nice tires, exhaust, brakes and suspension upgrades that you can feel and enjoy. With a nice solid base, then begin to build some power. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

An LSD would just be an expensive part that is doing nothing and just along for the ride on a B-210. Before a turbo I would spend the money on nice tires, exhaust, brakes and suspension upgrades that you can feel and enjoy. With a nice solid base, then begin to build some power. 

that makes the most sense. I'd love to be able to slide the car around and not sure an open dif will let me. Just found out today that my brand new oil pan gasket is leaking along with coolant leaking out of the head gasket (yay!). Planning on doing all of the repairs myself and since i'll have everything off the car I was wondering if there are any parts I should consider upgrading.

Was it leaking oil before and that's why it was changed??? If yes maybe it wasn't the pan gasket. If you are sure it's not leaking down from the valve cover gasket it could be the rear seal on the crankshaft. To be sure power wash the head around the valve cover and any oil on the block and around the oil pan. Regularly check the clean surface for fresh oil. Find out exactly where the oil is coming from. A new valve cover gasket is cheaper and easier than changing the pan gasket that doesn't fix the problem. 

Water?

Again are you sure it's from the head and not a heater hose? Water, like oil can run along surfaces on the way down hill. I had a pin hole in a heater hose once. Only sprayed out when the engine was revved way up and the found water was a long way from the hose. 

Water is definitely coming from the heater hose. I need to make sure that it is actually coming from the head gasket. I took it to my shop and they said it was coming from the head gasket. The oil pan is definitely leaking because there is no oil above that point. The valve cover gasket was leaking a very small amount but not enough to trickle all the way down under the oil pan. 

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Was it leaking oil before and that's why it was changed??? If yes maybe it wasn't the pan gasket. If you are sure it's not leaking down from the valve cover gasket it could be the rear seal on the crankshaft. To be sure power wash the head around the valve cover and any oil on the block and around the oil pan. Regularly check the clean surface for fresh oil. Find out exactly where the oil is coming from. A new valve cover gasket is cheaper and easier than changing the pan gasket that doesn't fix the problem. 

Water?

Again are you sure it's from the head and not a heater hose? Water, like oil can run along surfaces on the way down hill. I had a pin hole in a heater hose once. Only sprayed out when the engine was revved way up and the found water was a long way from the hose. 

There was a considerable intake leak and when I fixed it in greatly increased compression. Could that also be a factor?

I think not.

Replace the heater hose, got to be done anyway. Probably the cause.

Shops are in business to make money. They won't mind changing a head gasket that doesn't need it. The best thing is to know what wrong and if you can't, get them to do the fixing.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I think not.

Replace the heater hose, got to be done anyway. Probably the cause.

Shops are in business to make money. They won't mind changing a head gasket that doesn't need it. The best thing is to know what wrong and if you can't, get them to do the fixing.

Unfortunately I intern at the mechanics shop and am a very good friend of the guy who did the inspection on my car. I'll make sure to replace the heater hose along with water pump gasket to see if that fixes anything. Any idea of where I can buy a heater hose or will I just need to ebay one? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-Sunny-B310-Heat-Water-Hose-Short-L-Shape-Genuine-For-Nissan-A12-A14-A15-/371025960862

found this one

• Like 1

Leave the water pump alone. Never fix what isn't broken. If the water pump is leaking THEN replace it, or the gasket.

Measure the total length of both hoses and the hose opening diameter and go to Lordco, NAPA, O'Rylies, Rock Auto or any auto parts store and buy hose by the foot. Get good stainless steel hose clamps for it.

• Like 1