720 Weber 32/36 secret menu

matrophy

I've decided to  go with a 32/36 Weber on my 86 720 w/Z24. I have the carb ready to go and I've been doing some research on the best way to install it. Seems that everyone I talk to about this swap has a suggestion for the best way to do this that isn't covered in the Redline instructions and I wanted to list them here for a consensus opinion:

1) Add bearings on throttle shaft to prevent worn and leaking shaft bore

2) Use the stock throttle lever from the Hitachi

3) Use the stock cable bracket but move it down one bolt hole.

Anything else that I should do to make this painless ?

I'm not clear on the details for the return spring. I've been told to use the stock spring but the return spring on the Hitachi is not 'external' - meaning that it's connected to the carb itself rather than on a separate external bracket so if I use the stock spring, what does it attach to?

Sounds like some people used the Redline-supplied bracket with no problem and I see that bracket can be attached to either the carb base under one of the nuts (although I've also heard that the stud is too short to get a good purchase by the nut) or under one of the valve cover bolts. Not clear on which spring is used in this case.

• Like 2
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did the bearing and seal conversion after the bushings wore out. Truck didn't idle very well with the vacuum leak but it took a long time to get to that point and the carb was used when I bought it so who knows how many miles were on it. I wouldn't bother. As far as heavier springs like an over tightened water pump belt only accelerates wear. Run the new carb stock and go for the hacks when it is tired and needs repairs. You are probably looking at over 100k miles before anything becomes an issue.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, matrophy said:

1) Add bearings on throttle shaft to prevent worn and leaking shaft bore

Only needed is it's an old and worn out carburetor and if that's the case, pass on it.

• Like 1

I quit buying used Webers after I opened up this one.

DSC00671.jpg

DSC00669.jpg

I only buy new now.

I have had the one on my 86 king cab since 2011 and I purchased it new from Pierce Manifolds.  Still runs great even though the engine is tired.  It will go on a recently rebuilt Z24 that Shawn is giving me from his 521.  He is going KA.  This engine will go into my 84 720 ST.

17 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

I quit buying used Webers after I opened up this one.

DSC00671.jpg

DSC00669.jpg

I only buy new now.

I have had the one on my 86 king cab since 2011 and I purchased it new from Pierce Manifolds.  Still runs great even though the engine is tired.  It will go on a recently rebuilt Z24 that Shawn is giving me from his 521.  He is going KA.  This engine will go into my 84 720 ST.

Mine is brand new from Carbs Unlimited. I wouldn't buy a used one for sure.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Only needed is it's an old and worn out carburetor and if that's the case, pass on it.

Mike, this is off topic. Im new to this so I don’t know how to get a hold of you privately. 
i have a 79 Datsun 620 and need to replace my driver window.

i can’t find any for the life of me, but I did find a 80 720 driver window. 
Do you know if they Interchangeable?

thanks in advance 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

I bought one from carbs unlimited once.  I will never spend another dollar with them.  I like customer service after the sale, Carbs Unlimited has none.

Sorry to hear that

• Like 1

I have a used weber on my 720.  It's pretty old, likely as old as the truck.  It had the throttle shaft bore leak.  In fact, the bore was so worn that the linkage would bind before it ever opened the secondaries.  I put in a set of bearings from Pegasus racing.  Personally, I don't see a down side to the bearings except spending money.  They will prevent the throttle bore from ever wearing, so isn't that just good preventative maintenance?

Regarding the spring, some things are just better figured out in situ.  Put the carb on, test whatever brackets you have and go from there.  A stiff return spring will be felt in the pedal.  You can fine tune your pedal feel by changing the spring if such a thing matters to you.  I ended up making my own throttle cable bracket and spring bracket, but if you purchased a kit, hopefully you should have stuff that will work without significant work.

2 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

I have a used weber on my 720.  It's pretty old, likely as old as the truck.  It had the throttle shaft bore leak.  In fact, the bore was so worn that the linkage would bind before it ever opened the secondaries.  I put in a set of bearings from Pegasus racing.  Personally, I don't see a down side to the bearings except spending money.  They will prevent the throttle bore from ever wearing, so isn't that just good preventative maintenance?

Regarding the spring, some things are just better figured out in situ.  Put the carb on, test whatever brackets you have and go from there.  A stiff return spring will be felt in the pedal.  You can fine tune your pedal feel by changing the spring if such a thing matters to you.  I ended up making my own throttle cable bracket and spring bracket, but if you purchased a kit, hopefully you should have stuff that will work without significant work.

I already ordered the shaft bearing kit and I agree, I'd just as soon install them now to reduce the mystery-solving later on. Now I'm thinking about not swapping the Hitachi throttle lever right away to see if the Weber lever/spring/bracket setup works OK. I think I'll dry fit everything and try it out before gluing down the gaskets and final torqueing. 

• Like 2

I have never seen this type of air cleaner on a Weber DG series carb.  Been running Webers since the 70s. At this point I have owned several hundred new and used.  Just scrapped out 300 pounds of  Weber carbs last summer.

Powder coating it titty pink to match the truck!  LOL

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1
On 4/5/2021 at 10:32 PM, Vic620 said:

Mike, this is off topic. Im new to this so I don’t know how to get a hold of you privately. 
i have a 79 Datsun 620 and need to replace my driver window.

i can’t find any for the life of me, but I did find a 80 720 driver window. 
Do you know if they Interchangeable?

thanks in advance 

vic620 the 720 will not fit.  I might have a 620 drivers window, will look.  I'm also sending you a PM (private message) which is how to get to people off thread.  Just click on their user name right here, will take you to their profile window, click on "message" & yer off!

• Like 1