Why I’d rewire my truck

@banzai510(hainz)

Regarding why I’d like to rewire my 620.

.943E54A5-5F95-41B6-AFA2-4679967BF5B4.jpeg.089a911e629fee2771f00e0ae22e1c4b.jpeg

A number of the connections are far too tight from previous repairs

63EECFA2-8227-44BB-8573-304D92173CBC.jpeg.414bda87e4930f535be2a22fa549f613.jpeg

I have unplugged wires that were wrapped around the heater hose. 

2568D271-A403-47A3-8DD6-DED230B76124.jpeg.c338bce0e86392237f22d86c6d73e3f4.jpeg

Im absolutely certain that this loose rats nest isn’t from the factory.

F66929B0-D405-4E34-8F9D-937A076548D3.jpeg.82234bdb5a94c52b3dce08df1ff7061f.jpeg

This is not how you should connect this resistor. 

46733C22-B9FD-4CFE-82C3-F05F6FE97DCD.jpeg.b2884d2b1df73543dd96bd1e19f4276a.jpeg

and... who does this?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've seen duct tape and even masking tape wrapped around wires twisted together. A door bell switch tied to the column for a horn button. A water faucet for the heater control. A wall light switch for the headlights... classic!

• Like 1
17 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Fuck alot of Datsun owners!!!!!!!!!!!! Believe it or not!!!!!!!

I couldn’t sort out how to send pics in the messages so I figured I’d just show everyone what I was talking about.  Most of my finds we’re done with no pictures, but this gives you a reasonable understanding.

16 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I've seen duct tape and even masking tape wrapped around wires twisted together. A door bell switch tied to the column for a horn button. A water faucet for the heater control. A wall light switch for the headlights... classic!

I like the light switch idea.  Honestly the best “mod” I’ve seen was on a 79’ Corvette.  Dude had cut out part of the frame and put in fiberglass sandwiched between aluminum to make the car lighter.  He took it to the strip and ripped it in half.  So things could be worse. 

Besides, I like wiring and I get a nice little discount through Painless, so I’ll be removing all of this. 

I have "rebuilt" numerous factory wiring harnesses!  I save ALL junk harnesses, so I have plenty of excess wiring with the proper color codes, to repair what I need.  Check out www.vintageconnections.com for new repop plugs & correct terminals.............you can NOT look up a vehicle, they do NOT know what fits your vehicle, so all you can do is go online & choose what you want!  It is tedious, but you should be able to buy most of the plugs........and they are pristine white, not yellow!! 😎 I spent over $200++ & just bought multiples of all the plugs I recognized as early Datsun!  My having NEW plugs & terminals has saved our asses at the shop, when we were in dire need of something!

Your pic of "the rats nest", looks like a normal abused Datsun, worked on by numbnutz mechanics and/or owners!  The original tape wrap always unravels like that, so I can't point fingers to hard on that! 🥴

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

be honest I dont think that harness is that bad. most times its spliceing in new items for soemthing they want to power or by passing soemthing cause they think its bad.

Most times it just a bad or loose connection somewhere . there wire harness are pushing 50yrs old mot most are at the ends or under the fuse box proplems

Yup!  "Rebuilding" a harness takes time & patience, but finding a really clean ENGINE COMPARTMENT harness (dash harness is often clean, tail harness also NOT clean!) might be a real challenge, cuz almost always out in the elements!  😆

I will second yenpit's suggestion on vintage connections. I also spent some doll hairs on their connectors (bought a kit actually) and got one of their crimpers.

Some of the best money I have spent as far as tools/supplies to help with this Datsunitis.

I do need to get some more single and double connectors in the near future.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again guys. I actually know what I’m getting into with this. I’ve got a college degree in electronic systems, and probably 5,000 hours hands on building wiring conversion harnesses. I get teased about the harness in my truck every time people that know my work see it. 

The last few I did were full military spec with the all-purpose weather resistant plugs and all weather wiring.  These were for buggies that are used for rock crawling competitions in my home town.  

Talking to @banzai510(hainz) I’m sure that’s overkill on this truck, but getting some solid Painless Wiring kits and all weather splices will do the trick here.  I really appreciate the Vintage Connections tip from @yenpit and @KELMO. I’m sure I’ll need to blend new and old here as much as possible.  I’m going to draw out a plan for a harness then order all new wiring and connectors to the degree I can. Then, this winter, I’ll tear this puppy down and freshen everything up.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Soundline said:

Thanks again guys. I actually know what I’m getting into with this. I’ve got a college degree in electronic systems, and probably 5,000 hours hands on building wiring conversion harnesses. I get teased about the harness in my truck every time people that know my work see it. 

The last few I did were full military spec with the all-purpose weather resistant plugs and all weather wiring.  These were for buggies that are used for rock crawling competitions in my home town.  

Talking to @banzai510(hainz) I’m sure that’s overkill on this truck, but getting some solid Painless Wiring kits and all weather splices will do the trick here.  I really appreciate the Vintage Connections tip from @yenpit and @KELMO. I’m sure I’ll need to blend new and old here as much as possible.  I’m going to draw out a plan for a harness then order all new wiring and connectors to the degree I can. Then, this winter, I’ll tear this puppy down and freshen everything up.

......just remember, the old Datsun's are "switch to GROUND", unlike most everything else being switch to power!  Sounds like yer an old dog, so WOOF!! (can't teach an old dog new tricks........get it? Well, I thought it was funny........🙄)

• Haha 1

I learned Datsun wiring the hard way.  I decided to completely rewire my 510 with an early 80s 720 harness, but keep all the 510 switches.  I have probably 100 hours in that harness, just learning how to build the circuits and make each section work correctly.  Seems pretty good at this point though.  Being able to do wiring is a very cool skill to have on this old stuff.  I'd love to see what you build.

• Like 1

When I got my first 510 in 2007ish, the wiring was jacked, obviously aged, cooked, and abused. I posted here that I was going to completely re-wire it from scratch, Hainz laughed and said "another Datsun that will never come back to life" It ended up taking me less than a month and worked flawlessly, including 12v breakers over fuses and marine grade power distro blocks. These cars are simple! Being a theatrical master electrician doesn't hurt though!

• Like 1

Sold it in 2019 do to financial issues to a guy in socal. It was the hardest object I have ever had to let go of, Nothing is more fun than a properly lowered 510 with a true Subaru LSD. Now that I am in my 40's and need more practical transportation for work, Datsun Trucks are my passion. One day though I will hopefully acquire a 510 again...