521 Cotter Pin / Bolts

Coop

Hey Everyone, 

I am rebuilding my 1969 521 (will make a post shortly!) 

Am currently just finishing a long fight of drilling out my cotter bolts that wedge into the Fulcrum Pin. 

I need 2 new cotter bolts for this, and figured I would ask before having these custom made by a machinist. 

1) Is there anyone on the forum that might have some of these cotter bolts that I could purchase, OR

2) If I were to have a batch custom made, is that something that might get attention on this site?

Thanks and GLTA

• Like 1
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 king pin sets??  PM me

Coop PB blast the shit out of those small pins. Keep the NUT on there if possible and whack it out. Most get destroyed then use a punch and see if that works.

Mike has a nice video of this key is clean the pin hole and the new one slides in perfect. I use Anti seize on everything new and th last set came out good.

I have actually worn out the upper links that bolt to the frame with the weird cap grease fitting things on there, that the kingpin spindle bolts too and the Lower BIG threaded pin that goes thru the spindal DogBone and need spares as I had to rusted in the dogbone and had to sawzall them to get them out.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, mklotz70 said:

I've made the cotter bolts before.....and I'll be making more again soon to go with the 50 kingpin sets I just bought.  I'll try to get back to this soon, but I have to head to work right now.

Well when those cotter bolts get made, you have a buyer for 2 of them 100%! 
PM me when you might have a timeline. I'm doing a full rebuild down to sandblasting the frame so no real rush on my end, as long as I know they are coming at some point in the somewhat near future

• Like 2

Since this is a specific topic thread and not someone's build thread, I'll add a bit.

I recently bought 50 sets of kingpins for the 521(and older) from china.  I need to modify the grease hole position in the bushings, but otherwise, they're the correct kits....KP122.  I've got more shims(thin washers) since worn dogbones and spindles always seem to need more than the kit has.  I'm also....as mentioned.....going to be making more cotter bolts for the lower fulcrum pins.  It's really hard to get them out without damaging them, but it's possible.  Wayno has been successful more often than not by doubling up the nuts before trying to tap them out.  I was only going to make 100 or so to match up with the kingpin kits, but I guess I should probably plan on making twice that amount.  

I was trying to find a thread on ratsun about the cotter bolts, but it seems most of the info is already in this fulcrum pin thread....

If you have Instagram or FB, you can follow me as bluehandsvideo.  The stuff I'm doing in the shop shows up there first, so you'll see when I start making the cotter bolts and/or when I start modifying the kingpin kits.  It can take me months...even a year...to get stuff posted to youtube.  I have some video up on IG about the kingpin kits.  I'll be posting a video to youtube....hopefully, soon....about them, as well.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I remember having this conversation just recently, and someone said Triumph or Jaguar or some other car had the same size cotters.

.....size for the fulcrum pin or the kingpin?  

• Like 1

It's for a T series. Any parts for T series are more expensive.

The Sprite/Midget pin and nut is like $5 anywhere. Someone should just order one and try it - https://www.spridgetmania.com/part/51K1769/Pin-Tapered-Lower-Fulcrum-Lock-Sprite--Mg-Midget

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It's for a T series. Any parts for T series are more expensive.

The Sprite/Midget pin and nut is like $3 anywhere.

If you can point me to where I can order....or a part number, I'll order a couple in to compare.  If they're the same and I can order 100+ of them, I just might do that to save me all of the time it's going to take to make them myself.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Perfect! Thanks!!!  I ordered a set from each of them to check them out.  ......except for the first one in the other post....$20ea.....nope. lol

Edited by mklotz70
  • Like 2
47 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Someone just posted that the big Healey pins are the same - https://mossmotors.com/pin-cotter-unf

Ok. Thanks!  They look a bit different.  Had to order 4 to get over the $10 min order limit.  Another $22.  So far....somewhere around $80.....I'm starting to think I could have bought all of the stock for less than that......but it would save me a ton of time.  lol

• Like 2
On 4/5/2021 at 10:18 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I bet the ones in my Sprite are the same as the Datsun. I don't have a loose one, or I'd measure it for you.

Check this one out. It's for a MG T series and has a nut to help pull it out - https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/cotter-pin-nut-king-pin-261-097.html

I read that above ^^^ about possibly same as a British part!  I have been involved in the British parts industry on & off for 35++ years.  Stoffregen.........I've had 21 Spridgets myself over the years.  Although I have a 521, I have not even looked at the front suspension...............are you thinking this "cotter pin" is the same as the lower kingpin tapered cotter pin on the Spridgets?  If so, I will likely have a new one in my tool box, so let me know & I can measure!

TJ