620 KA24DE

79D50

I have searched and read, and researched across this site, Nico, KA-T, Mini-Datsun etc. The info conflicts everywhere regarding oil pans. I get the difference between the car and truck KA24DE motors and front/rear sump etc. There are 100's of guys running the s13/s14 KA24DE in the Hardbody, dimes, and 620's. 

I've got a very well built, brand new s14 KA24DE. The truck is '76 620 which has had a beebani makeover with control arms, coil overs, and a center steering link. The front sump on the rebuilt motor hits the steering link. The rear sump will clear. The right rear sump (per reading) would be off a '97 - 98 Frontier. When it comes to the oil pickup and the dipstick, everyone seems to have a different opinion. I need to buy the right parts for my builder. Some guys are saying the rear sump will bolt right in no problems blah blah and others say the opposite. 

Can someone with a similar situation confirm the part(s) needed and if there is any FAB work required. Anything is do-able, just need concrete info of what to buy and what needs fabrication or tinkering to work. It seems like a bit of work is needed as there is no "off the shelf" part that solves the problem. Am I mistaken?

Edited by 79D50
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks. My front suspension is all modern day gear. There is nothing left stock about it. IIRC, the steering link is straight across from idler to pitman with two adjustable links (one on each end). I don't think flipping it from top to bottom or right to left would gain clearance.

@J2e - I'd like to chat to learn what you have done. Thanks!

Edited by 79D50
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, 79D50 said:

Thanks. My front suspension is all modern day gear. There is nothing left stock about it. IIRC, the steering link is straight across from idler to pitman with two adjustable links (one on each end). I don't think flipping it from top to bottom or right to left would gain clearance.

Do you mean you have new 620 parts, or a completely different front end set up? If its all 620 steering parts then it sounds like you need to flip the center link using the Jeep bushing/sleeves. Unless Im misunderstanding something?

https://ratsun.net/topic/72201-important-information-about-tapered-inserts/
https://datsuntrucks.com/center-link-flip-datsun-620/

Regarding oil pans, if I recall I dont think its easily doable to swap from a front sump to a rear sump. Just use the 240 engine/pan and flip center link. Maybe beat the pan in a bit for clearance but that should be it.

• Like 1

No 620 parts left on front end. It is all fabbed up by Beebani - see below. The center link is just below and forward of the motor mounts.

Flipping the center link may work but I can't readily measure. I'm in WA and the truck is in CA. 

20200225_080023.jpg

Edited by 79D50
  • Like 1

Beebani's kit still uses the stock 620 centerlink

The 240sx dual cam engine is front sump only and can only be converted to a rear sump with a custom pan. 

I offer engine mounts that are shorter. 

The front sump will clear if you flip the center link. You can use the jeep inserts as suggested by klam07. 

What transmission are you using? 

• Like 1

Just a 'lil something to add. My DE has the shorty/Megan Racing header on it ( lots available on eBay). There are two bungs to screw the 02 sensor into on the header and it seems like both of them are less than optimum. My truck has always runs rich, I think because that header has bungs that only see on cylinder instead of all 4. Redeye has the stock 240 exhaust manifold and it has the 02 port where is sees all 4 cylinders and he does not run rich. Im going in next week to have the exhaust worked on and get a new port installed after the header to see if it helps. For whatever that is worth...If you are using the shorty header.

Here is my DE with the Beebani suspension. Unfortunately - it was already installed when I got the truck, so I dont know what they did...

umvqSPL.jpg

Edited by FrankRizzo
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Beebani's kit still uses the stock 620 centerlink

The 240sx dual cam engine is front sump only and can only be converted to a rear sump with a custom pan. 

I offer engine mounts that are shorter. 

The front sump will clear if you flip the center link. You can use the jeep inserts as suggested by klam07. 

What transmission are you using? 

You are right. I had to go back through old records. Same center link. With your engine mounts, I can get this installed to clear the center link once flipped? If so, I will buy a pair - please PM me. I have read all about the center link flip and since all that gear is brand new and never seen the road, it should be a clean and easy job. 

The transmission is a 240SX 5 speed but am open to options for ease of install/swap. Thanks man, I've been researching this for the better part of the day. Now I am excited again. 

• Like 2

I could also run a 280zx 5 speed with a 720 bell housing but would rather not start to cobble parts together vs. being straightforward with the 240 tranny. Open to bet practice/ease of installation suggestions.

The 71B was used on L, Z, SD, LD and CA series engines so swapping the front case isn't really cobbling together. Any L series 5 speed with a Z series front case will be a perfect fit into the 620 but... it is a weaker transmission to the 71C that would be on a stronger KA engine. The 71C is about twice as strong as a 71B but you will have to modify your drive shaft length to fit. A 71C is also probably easier to find as a replacement later if needed.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

Just a 'lil something to add. My DE has the shorty/Megan Racing header on it ( lots available on eBay). There are two bungs to screw the 02 sensor into on the header and it seems like both of them are less than optimum. My truck has always runs rich, I think because that header has bungs that only see on cylinder instead of all 4. Redeye has the stock 240 exhaust manifold and it has the 02 port where is sees all 4 cylinders and he does not run rich. Im going in next week to have the exhaust worked on and get a new port installed after the header to see if it helps. For whatever that is worth...If you are using the shorty header.

Here is my DE with the Beebani suspension. Unfortunately - it was already installed when I got the truck, so I dont know what they did...

Looking forward to hearing your results. I have the same style header going on my green truck and would like . 

1 hour ago, 79D50 said:

You are right. I had to go back through old records. Same center link. With your engine mounts, I can get this installed to clear the center link once flipped? If so, I will buy a pair - please PM me. I have read all about the center link flip and since all that gear is brand new and never seen the road, it should be a clean and easy job. 

The transmission is a 240SX 5 speed but am open to options for ease of install/swap. Thanks man, I've been researching this for the better part of the day. Now I am excited again. 

Replied to your PM.  

The hardbody transmission is a good option for a 71C

• Like 3
3 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

Just a 'lil something to add. My DE has the shorty/Megan Racing header on it ( lots available on eBay). There are two bungs to screw the 02 sensor into on the header and it seems like both of them are less than optimum. My truck has always runs rich, I think because that header has bungs that only see on cylinder instead of all 4. Redeye has the stock 240 exhaust manifold and it has the 02 port where is sees all 4 cylinders and he does not run rich.

This is good info, I didnt know about this. I was planning to get an ebay megan style header for my swap because its 4-1 collector - or if I can find an oem s14 manifold. I currently have the s13 early style exh manifold that goes from 4-2 then 2-1 on the downpipe, making it a bit more difficult to fabricobble something..

Hardbody or early Frontier trans should be about ~5" shorter than a 240 trans so if you have a single cab it might put the shifter in a better location, ie: more forward. A 240 trans might put it near your hip 😛 something to consider maybe.

• Like 1
On 4/4/2021 at 9:19 PM, ]2eDeYe said:

Looking forward to hearing your results. I have the same style header going on my green truck and would like . 

Replied to your PM.  

The hardbody transmission is a good option for a 71C

I replied back via PM.

• Like 2

Follow up on the 02 sensor. I had my exhaust redone from collector flange all the way to the tailpipe. I added a bung just after the collector and installed a new sensor so it "smells" all 4 cylinders.  No real change - the truck still runs rich, using my nose as the testing device.

• Like 3