Smog/Emission Reports and tips

720_Jeff

Adding my last two reports.  Results are very similar, so pleased about that.

For the 2019 test, I did absolutely nothing.  Just drove it in and tested.  This year, changed cap/rotor/plugs, it was about time and nearly identical reports 🙂

IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anything been done to the truck? I am moving somewhere that will require emissions testing and I need to know if I am gonna have to undo some of the things to mine in order to legally have it registered haha

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Depends on where. Some just have to pass the tail pipe sniff test, others have to pass a visual test.

I know it's just the tail pipe sniffing that it has to pass, that's for sure haha

There are only 2 counties in Idaho (currently) that require emissions testing, and they're not super thorough about it

• Like 1

That's not much to go on. If you are going somewhere that only has to pass the tail pipe readings then have it in good tune, have your EGR working and if the truck came with a catalytic converter make sure it's there or at least be ready to replace it for a new approved one.

• Like 1

This truck is totally stock.  It must pass visual and does since its all stock.  A few years ago, replaced spark plug wires.  This time did cap/rotor,plugs.  Oil was changed around 1k miles ago.

Since it sat for such a long time, maybe 3 months due to Covid conditions, it sputtered a bit when driving.  Some SeaFoam and a few tanks of premium along with mostly highway driving.

I'm in California, so every two years 😞

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

On 4/3/2021 at 1:29 PM, 720_Jeff said:

This truck is totally stock.  It must pass visual and does since its all stock.  A few years ago, replaced spark plug wires.  This time did cap/rotor,plugs.  Oil was changed around 1k miles ago.

Since it sat for such a long time, maybe 3 months due to Covid conditions, it sputtered a bit when driving.  Some SeaFoam and a few tanks of premium along with mostly highway driving.

I'm in California, so every two years 😞

Hey 720_Jeff I'm in LA county. My Stock Carb seems to be in Limp Home mode.  You know of anyone that has put a Weber carb on? Do you think it would pass our smog check here in CA?

• Like 2

I believe to pass emissions you must also pass a visual inspection and a Weber certainly won't. I can think of at least 3 critical emissions systems that would be disconnected by using one. ATC, AIS and EGR

• Like 1

Like others have said, Weber and 720's don't go together in California.  It won't pass visual.  I've read stories about folks using a Weber and original air cleaner that has been modified for the Weber.  That helps disguise the Weber and might pass visual at a sloppy shop.  Some have claimed to have done so successfully.

From this webpage that sells Weber, it seems to claim the 8000 series is legal for certain engines in a Toyota.

http://www.redlineweber.com/carb-kits/auto/toyota-truck/

Bottom line, to my knowledge, there is no CARB compliant carburetor for the 720's in California, well beyond the stock Hitachi.