Toyota pick up 1992

I know its not a datsun but figure wtf.

Make a long story short my batteyr shorted out on the battery hold down which is bolted to the core support.

Truck smoked , then I see smoke at the right rear tire and feel around and the Parking brake cable is cooking melting the insulation. I remember Datsun mike saying about a throttle cable melting a long time ago saying it looking for a ground. So I went back to the battery I see battery post welded to the battery hold down. I had no tools what so ever so about 10-15 mins I found a wrench and took the batteyr cable off and then put back together. Just so happens it started up fine even during the 15 or so min drain on the battery.

Started up fine no dash lights on put ON the lights on it stumbled and died. . At idle and rev up its fine.  its bad when I put the lights ON or tried to drive it its cutting out like running out of gas. This is Fuel Injected which I know nothing about. I checked the fuses real quick but had it towed to a place my dads takes his vehicles to.  I told the guy and he gave ? look. Never heard of that . then in my mine i said, Oh shit.

So I called Icehouse Jeff Hino and he says the battery is finding a ground thru the body which I know but  ask why it start fine. The ground is at the starter thats why. But the other stuff needs the ground via the body he thinks.Think the Fuel injected sytem need a higher voltage to run correcctly or the Alternator is not putting out good out put but I didnt have a FLuke meter with me so I couldnt ck that.

So Im going to tell them my theroy so they dont change out everything and say I need a wire harness.

what you guys think?    Im going to tell them to ground strap from minus battery to the body and maybe the frame and see if it runs

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Engine, transmission, shocks, leaf springs, suspension parts, exhaust, cab and box all have some sort of rubber isolation from the frame and if positive post touches the body it tries to find the ground on the block or where ever the negative battery cable is mounted. On the 521 it was the throttle cable. Did this TWICE before I wised up and bungee the battery down. Well you all know what it's like when you're 25 and everything is a short cut to get you where you want to go. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

fuse would pop?  Guess I could take the fuse out to the light circut or tell them

lights OFF loads down trying to drive

Not necessarily, but it could be just the extra load.  

Thanks Stoff I was hoping you chim on to  this one

I had no tools with me are in the 521  volt meter ect I usually carry in my truck. Never thought this would happen with me, Fuck I was hoping to get 20year out of this rig. ect...

however The battery light went out so I figure the alt worked. but like I said I had not meter.

update the wire harness BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Might junk it if they cant find a harness.  who really know what more is hidden and burnt

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1