Potential Engine swaps?

scremmy

Hey all! I just recently bought an '84 720 that has a werber carb and headers, and I want to do an engine swap. After digging around in this forum a bit, I have seen that the KA24E/DE are really common swaps for this truck. 

I was wondering; what other options are there? I have been having a lot of trouble finding a KA24DE that is rwd and not 3k, without much luck. 

Any tips?

• Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All S13/14s were either Es or DEs, the D21 Hardbody 4 cylinders after '88 were Es or DEs and Xterra 4 cylinder engines through 2004 were DEs all were RWD. I think there were far more RWD than FWD applications.

You can import a (ho hum) SR20 and transmission but it will be twice $3K

• Like 3
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

All S13/14s were either Es or DEs, the D21 Hardbody 4 cylinders after '88 were Es or DEs and Xterra 4 cylinder engines through 2004 were DEs all were RWD. I think there were far more RWD than FWD applications.

You can import a (ho hum) SR20 and transmission but it will be twice $3K

Oh okay cool! I didn't realize that the Xterra was RWD, thank you for letting me know! I have found a lot of those for relatively cheap!

• Like 2

Ho hum JDM import S13 SR20de can be had for $3,400, but it doesn't have the torque you may want for a truck that an S14, S15 SR20DE with VVT, or a KA24 has. Be patient though and consider the intended use for the vehicle. Research is your most valuable investment. Scratch together all the swap parts you can, sell your L20 so you can buy the best engine trans with the lowest milage you can find. Any way you can buck the market dictating the $ you spent for the best option is worth considering. For instance, if you have the ability, rebuilding a late model high milage KA/SR may be the best option. Be on the lookout for abandoned projects where you can scoop up what you need for pennies on the dollar. Cheers, and may timing and luck be on your side.

• Like 3