Transmission ID

Zac7803

I am going to look at these transmission later today. The owner got them from a guy who has recently passed. They said they were from late 70's-early 80's Datsun/Nissan. Any idea what I should look for on these to Identify. I am looking for a  5spd 71B for my 84' 4x4. 

trans.png

trans2.png

trans3.jpg

trans4.png

trans5.png

Edited by Zac7803
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

trans4.png.e273f130c6fb435717279bb865f86

Only the bottom one is a 5 speed.

trans8.jpg.4789aa9ff03e4eb3675492f47aa26

This one is an L series 5 speed. Not from a 280z or zx or from an 810/Maxima. Only thing left is a 620 or 720 truck. Get a picture of the speedometer drive and I can tell you if from a 720, not that that matters much. A 620 transmission will fit anyway.

The #2 and #4 are just casting revisions and meaningless.

7A199F58-BD3B-4AC7-BFB3-B80F8CB3DC04.thu

This 4 speed front case is a Z series. If you remove it you can swap onto the L series 5 speed and convert to Z series transmission.

12 hours ago, Zac7803 said:

I measured the transmission in my 84’ and 85’, both are 26”, so these won’t work. All 4 were 31.5”. Bummer deal, the guy was going to give me all 4 for $100.

The short ones are hard to come by... might be worth doing what Mike said.... 

Or buy them for $100 and you could easily make your money back....

2 things... what's wrong with the transmission in your truck?

2nd dont ever just scrap those short transmissions even if lockup or blown up, aside from a huge hole in the rear case they can easily be rebuilt.....

they are gold to a guy like me with a 521, easy upgrade and we only need a new bracket and rear mount...

One other thing to be aware of is the stumpy 71b for a 4x4 has no speedo drive(drive is in the transfer case I believe) and a stumpy 2 wheel drive has it in the transmission....

Pretty sure you could use the 2 wheel drive one in your 4x4 but dont quote me on that.....

You can use a 2wd in place of a 4x4 in a 4x4. The speedometer is run off the transfer case so not needed. I got the tightening ring off a spare cable and RTV'd the open end closed and screwed it on to keep any oil from dripping.

A 4x4 in a 2wd and you'd have no speedometer as the case isn't machined for the speedo pinion. An oddity of the'stumpy' is that the speedometer is on the left side.

Here's a shorty with an L series front case on it and speedometer cable.

CaPuYjt.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

The short ones are hard to come by... might be worth doing what Mike said.... 

Or buy them for $100 and you could easily make your money back....

2 things... what's wrong with the transmission in your truck?

2nd dont ever just scrap those short transmissions even if lockup or blown up, aside from a huge hole in the rear case they can easily be rebuilt.....

they are gold to a guy like me with a 521, easy upgrade and we only need a new bracket and rear mount...

One other thing to be aware of is the stumpy 71b for a 4x4 has no speedo drive(drive is in the transfer case I believe) and a stumpy 2 wheel drive has it in the transmission....

Pretty sure you could use the 2 wheel drive one in your 4x4 but dont quote me on that.....

My transmission wont stay in 1st gear, so most likely a synchro. The original plan was to rebuild it, then I came across an 85 that is in perfect functioning condition. So now I am just likely going to sell the 84', either as is or with a new transmission. 

I may just buy all 4, my wife doesnt like the idea, but like you said I  think I could easily make my money back or more. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 5:41 PM, Zac7803 said:

I measured the transmission in my 84’ and 85’, both are 26”, so these won’t work. All 4 were 31.5”. Bummer deal, the guy was going to give me all 4 for $100.

As Mike said, only the bottom one is a 5speed.  See the 6bolt plate on top of the tail housing on the other three?  That indicates 4speed.  I pull the 4speed bellhousings off (pull front plate, then the big C clip, then the bolts holding it to the thick steel center plate) ONLY if it is an earlier L series, NOT the later NAPZ series!  I then simply scrap the 4speed gearbox, unless you have room to keep them.  I think I have only sold 2 or 3 4speeds in 20++ years!  I sell the L series 4speed bellhousings WITH the front plate, big C clip & the shim, for around $100-125 each + shipping.  You use this L series 4speed bellhousing to convert the later NAPZ 5speed gearbox to bolt up to the L series.......it bolts right on.  You also use this L series 4speed bellhousing to convert the later 240SX KA 5speed gearbox to bolt up to the L series, however the 240SX KA 5speed has a larger front bearing, so machine work is needed!

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I just wanna make sure I am looking at these transmission correctly. The measurement to get to shorty 26" or long tail 31.5 on 71B's is as shown on pic below? Im on the hunt for a shorty 26" and just want to make sure I am measuring correctly.

InkedCaPuYjt_LI.jpg

To be most accurate stand it up on a couple of 2x4s so it's vertical. Place something straight across the case end where the driveshaft goes in and measure up from the surface that meets the engine to a place about 8 or 9" out from the case at the top. The tape measure must also be vertical or you will measure a longer and inaccurate 'slope' distance. I get 26" and a C hair not worth mentioning.

The one pictured has an L series front case on it. I assume you want one for a Z series.