Idle revving between shifts...Engine smoking...

McFerg

I'll check that tomorrow Charlie69 and get back to you!  

I plugged the carb back in. Then decided to adjust the idle screw and mixture screw again. I had the mixture screw all the way in. then adjusted the idle. Then adjusted the mixture screw about a turn and a half out. Went back and forth and was really able to get it at a nice idle. It feels as good as it is going to get with my adjustments. It is so quiet I thought it might stall every time I stopped. But the engine stayed on.  Black smoke is gone with normal driving but a small amount spits out the pipe for a moment when starting from stop signs. It smells much leaner at idle though and after the initial black out of the 1st puff it looks good. I saw the post about premium gas, an oil change, etc... and putting some alcohol in the tank. Perhaps that will make it happen for a smog check? 

Thanks for addressing all my concerns. I'm sure it feels like i'm spinning my wheels with y'all but it is great to have some support.  Heaven knows my wife isn't on the same page as me.  🙂 I'll let you know how the smog check goes.

• Like 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reason I asked is I have a ^E foot and I think I have my foot off the gas when actually it is hitting the gas pedal enough to bring up the rpms.  I once searched for the problem then I realized the problem was my wide feet!  LOL