Identify my 5 speed

RLJ

2 hours ago, RLJ said:

Yenpit, good information thanks. 

Your correct 4 speed kit wouldn’t work but was ok to return and get credit. Purchased a 5 speed kit. 

Also correct information on the 5 speed kits. Didn’t know about flipping the phenolic synchro around. Mine had no problems going into 5th so hopefully I’m ok. 

I came up with the same idea about drilling a hole to get the tapered pin out and posted it in another thread. Decided  to not do it as it wasn’t leaking before. All the parts to do it weren't available from Nissan. 

Mines all back together and should be fine but won’t know until car is back together. 

We replace the upper shift shaft oring & seal on every rebuild, as most rebuilds go into our vintage race builds, where the consistent RPM's are higher, thus a much higher chance of throwing gear oil up into that upper area of the gearbox, thus pushing fluid out thru the shifter area.  A street car may not have an issue!

The oring & seal are still available from Nissan.  What other parts weren't?  Most "hard parts" ie gears, shafts, forks, hardware etc are long gone NLS NLA.  I have never searched for a replacement taper pin, so maybe that's one of the parts you mean?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going from memory when I checked the welch plug, which looks like it needs to be removed to get the shift rod and seal out, and the internal seal weren’t available.

Probably could have sized them and found something but didn’t try. There was no oil in the shift tube and shifter area so I left it. Did get a new rubber boot for the shifter to the shift tube so that should seal it up or at least keep it in the tube!

This is for a street use cruiser so should be fine. 

14 hours ago, RLJ said:

Going from memory when I checked the welch plug, which looks like it needs to be removed to get the shift rod and seal out, and the internal seal weren’t available.

Probably could have sized them and found something but didn’t try. There was no oil in the shift tube and shifter area so I left it. Did get a new rubber boot for the shifter to the shift tube so that should seal it up or at least keep it in the tube!

This is for a street use cruiser so should be fine. 

I agree on a lower revving street car, the upper seals may not need replacing, however that rubber boot won't hold residual fluid in if they do leak!  That boot is a "dust boot" to keep dirt out.  We tried that the first time, even with a tight zip tie........did not hold fluid in!

The welch plug is easily "popped" out, once you have the upper shift shaft removed.  Hold the cast iron shifter coupler in hand & gently tap the other end of the shaft on a piece of wood, the shaft will slip thru the coupler towards the backside of the welch plug & POP! out it comes.  We typically can re-use the plug with a couple new "peens", but we also found a Dorman welch/freeze plug that fits (sorry, no part #).

For those that want to replace the upper shift shaft lip seal, it is part #32858-U6702 & the oring is part #32710-14600 (same oring as the speedo pinion!) 😁

Timely thread here as I have a 5 speed I may need to rebuild.

Since you were discussing the 5th gear synchro not being brass, I found this ebay posting from Z car depot interesting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223479116910?fits=Model%3A280ZX|Make%3ADatsun&hash=item340864b46e:g:mIQAAOSwL7VWq1vP

1 hour ago, iceman510 said:

Timely thread here as I have a 5 speed I may need to rebuild.

Since you were discussing the 5th gear synchro not being brass, I found this ebay posting from Z car depot interesting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223479116910?fits=Model%3A280ZX|Make%3ADatsun&hash=item340864b46e:g:mIQAAOSwL7VWq1vP

Surprising that ZcarDepot lists it as fitting "all 5speeds"............no mention of the early difference.  To recap, the early 1977-1978 280Z/1979-1980 280ZX 5speed has a phenolic 5th synchro, not brass.  This discontinued NLA NLS phenolic synchro can be flipped around to utilize the other side that was never used.....unless somebody already did that!  The complete rebuild kit from Cobra Transmissions, comes with 5 brass synchro's, you simply don't use the 5th one in the early trans.

I was told it was a steel synchro but there is definitely something different about it.  Besides the 280z, 810 and the 620 it was used on the first year of the new '79 280zx only, and on the following 1980 models 720through 11 '79 and S110 200sx through 10 '79 or roughly half way through these model years.

Is it 32361-20100? Looks like a large flattened thick c shaped ring???

I have a '79 zx 5 speed but I  thought it had a regular brass one. It's definitely a mid ratio so definitely a '79.