Axle with splines on both ends

Hopefully, the Ratsun brain trust holds this knowledge. If an axle has splines on both ends. One end inserts into the differential and the other end...I am only guessing, fits into some kind of splined hub. Where are these hubs purchased? Are the hubs acceptable for street/highway and off road use? Or if my hub theory is incorrect, what is the correct application?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Might this be for a floating axle? The axle does not have the bearing on it nor does it support the vehicle weight instead the axle tube has the bearing and the weight.

I think the dual tire Cab/Chassis is floating or semi floating. It does not have splines at both ends. wayno would know more about this.

• Like 1

One problem with custom full floating axles (splines on both ends) is sealing out the gear oil. Some floating axles use gear oil to lubricate the wheel bearings, some use grease, and if you're doing a custom full float setup on an axle that was intended to use grease to lube the wheel bearings, you need to come up with a system to seal the shaft behind, or inside of the wheel hub.

Big truck 3/4 float axles use oil to lube the bearings and have a gasket on the axle flange that keeps the oil inside, but no inner seal.

For anything custom like this, there are various sources. Dutchman can make custom shafts and they do it quickly and are quite inexpensive, usually about $500 for the pair. Finding someone to make the flange may be more difficult as it can't just be billet. Often times the splines need heat treating. For custom flanges, I use a shop called High Angle Driveline in Paradise, CA. Any machine shop can make them, but Jesse is set up to make them in small quantities.

What axle are you thinking of? Maybe there are off the shelf parts already available.

• Like 1
On 3/25/2021 at 10:12 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

One problem with custom full floating axles (splines on both ends) is sealing out the gear oil. Some floating axles use gear oil to lubricate the wheel bearings, some use grease, and if you're doing a custom full float setup on an axle that was intended to use grease to lube the wheel bearings, you need to come up with a system to seal the shaft behind, or inside of the wheel hub.

Big truck 3/4 float axles use oil to lube the bearings and have a gasket on the axle flange that keeps the oil inside, but no inner seal.

For anything custom like this, there are various sources. Dutchman can make custom shafts and they do it quickly and are quite inexpensive, usually about $500 for the pair. Finding someone to make the flange may be more difficult as it can't just be billet. Often times the splines need heat treating. For custom flanges, I use a shop called High Angle Driveline in Paradise, CA. Any machine shop can make them, but Jesse is set up to make them in small quantities.

What axle are you thinking of? Maybe there are off the shelf parts already available.

Thank you for weighing in, it was the opening of Dutchman in Idaho that defeated my first rear axle plan, and, more probably than not, will sink it again.  Dutchman's website offers to cut and respline axles for $65-$85. Attempting custom dual bearings, to use the axle, I procured and the mentioned, potential sealing difficulties that may bring was a real buzzkill,. By my estimate, it would cost more than $65-$85 to convert my axle  full floating and then, there are the unknown problems that arise in every "custom" project.

I opened this thread to reconsider working with a chrome alloy off a Dana 44 rear differential of a trencher that I picked up years back. I forget the length. it is as short as possible and retain room for a brake and leaf spring. The shiny chrome axle would make an excellent fish wacker. As is common with my m.o. (modus operandi) I try to make use of what I have rather than buying more stuff, while trying to avoid stepping over a dollar to save a dime. 

• Like 2