Convert to Weber or not?

Zac7803

I have the opportunity to pick up a used Weber 32/36 for ~$100. Do not know a lot about it other than the guy said it came off a running 720. Currently my 85 has stock carb on it. Runs fine, I just see a lot of people converting to Weber, so thought this might be an opportunity to convert.  Let me know what you guys think. 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity, what MPG do you get? Does it start cold, hot... choke returns to slow idle as it warms? Can you wind the fuck outta it in second and third??

Does it come with conversion plate, studs and throttle linkage bracket?? If not, wouldn't spend the time to do the conversion, adjust dist. timing and tune carb, maybe re-jet.

Haven't driven it around enough to check the mileage. Starts cold although it takes awhile for it to get to fast idle while warming, and I have never heard it come off fast idle, I just always hit the pedal after its warmed up. I wouldn't say you can wind the fuck out of it in 2nd or 3rd. 

I assume we are talking about a Hitachi stock carb with all the emissions hooked up... I mean cold, can you turn on the ignition, depress the pedal once so it closes the choke, then fires right off?  What should happen is; as it warms, the five position choke should open gradually. You can bump the throttle to disengage it too. 

Probably could use some carb cleaner? Just for the hell of it, check for vacuum leaks!!

I hung on to my stock carb set-up for years. they work great as long as they work. A couple things I noticed the Weber doesn't have is BCDD (boost controlled deceleration device). Sometimes I come up to a stop, but the idle doesn't drop, also going down long hills in gear, it blows smoggy exhaust.

I just rebuilt an L20b, the shop that did my head used to race SCCA Datsuns, they talked me into the Weber, saying they run the engine better. I haven't got it it timed exactly right yet, but when I gas it, it pulls hard! My mileage sucks, I ordered a jet kit... it's a daily driver so, I don't really need to dump that much gas on it!  We will see.

I have heard hainz say; If it ain't broke don't fix it...

The fast idle can;t 'come down' till you step on the gas to release it.

A Z24 4x4 should get in the 18 to 20 MPG. A 2wd 20-22 MPG. You won't get better mileage with a Weber, maybe as good but not better unless there is something wrong with the Hitachi.

Keep the Hitachi as long as you can. The Weber will not let you use the stock air filter than has the ATC (automatic temperature control) that maintains intake air at 100F making carb icing in the damp cold impossible. Engine thinks it's summer and runs like it is.

20 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The fast idle can;t 'come down' till you step on the gas to release it.

A Z24 4x4 should get in the 18 to 20 MPG. A 2wd 20-22 MPG. You won't get better mileage with a Weber, maybe as good but not better unless there is something wrong with the Hitachi.

Keep the Hitachi as long as you can. The Weber will not let you use the stock air filter than has the ATC (automatic temperature control) that maintains intake air at 100F making carb icing in the damp cold impossible. Engine thinks it's summer and runs like it is.

Ok, that explains why it has never come off fast idle until I hit the gas. But should it take time to increase fast idle on initial start up? Maybe its not that long and i just think it is. 

Depends how cold it is I think. I find that you may have to baby sit it for a minute. As long as you don't step on the gas suddenly and engage the choke un-loader. The choke un-loader is there in the event that you are driving with the choke on during warm up and you need maximum effort from the engine. Performance is very poor with the choke on. Then the best way to get the idle back is to shut off step on the gas once to reset the choke (and with it the fast idle) and restart.