Stupid Smog Emissions Question...

2 hours ago, MikeRL411 said:

It  has happened before!  The very year my 1967 Datsun would have become exempt California gifted me with 5 nore years of annual inspections,

I agree it has happened before, several times. We had to install a NOx device on older cars. It was horrible on most cars it reduced power and made mileage even worse and they put a sticker near the speedo to tell you you could no longer drive faster than 60 IIRC.

"In 1971, the Legislature amended the Mulford-Carrell Air Resources Act (Stats. 1967, ch. 1545, p. 3680) to require the ARB to set standards for devices which would significantly reduce the emission of NOx from the exhaust of certain 1966 through 1970 model year vehicles and to establish a program for the installation of pollution control devices. "

And like I mentioned before my 1999 Diesel pickup was 11 years old and then they made smog test mandatory for it in 2010.

Will they mandate changes or added equipment to older vehicles? = yes - if they are allowed to get away with it.

Will they mandate forced retirement of older vehicles? = yes - if they are allowed to get away with it.

I suspect Colorado, Washington, Oregon's bureaucracies arent as powerful as California's but the fact that they are making these changes tells me they are close and it is all those interwoven government regulations and requirements is what will prevent you, like us from preventing those changes.

Edited by Ooph!
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, yenpit said:

We just had a real scare here in Colorado!  As of January 1st 2021, we heard that Colorado had adopted the stringent Cali CARB emissions standards. We were right in the middle of an LS3 swap in a Corvette.  Our customer called freaking out that his car would NEVER pass that!  We put everything on hold for 2 days, while we tried to get an answer from the State, which of course, is on skeleton crews.  Bottom line, these new to Colorado CARB standards are only going to be applied to 2021 models & newer...............they will NOT be retroactive.  I don't see how any State could possibly make such drastic changes & apply them to older cars, that very likely could not pass.  Imagine how many people would be put out & could not afford to upgrade to a newer car?     

It’s not the state you have to look out for, the federal EPA Regulations are the hammer.

Im calling in a bunch of old favors here to stop the WA State Patrol from adopting the federal codes for enforcement purposes.

Here’s my mantra when dealing with gov agencies in the US.  “ You cannot attribute to malice what can be easily attributed to incompetence.”  Having read a few hundred select pages of their 40,000+ page code regarding motor vehicle emissions, and I think a lotta the issues I have with it were that people writing parts of the code hadn’t read the rest of it.  That, or they are picking up a code assuming you’ve read the last thing they just read. 

I just want the EPA & State regulations to be clear and that car owners CAN ACTUALLY comply.

13 hours ago, Ooph! said:

I and to establish a program for the installation of pollution control devices. "

I ran into this when I had to register my old 1970 Buick225  Electra LTD !  I passed everything smog but was "faled" for "no visual smog control device".  Despite the fact that my Buick was a California built, California certified vehicle verifiable by the VIN.  It had the "Pink pages" in the driver's handbook explaining the California unique features of the engine, had a unique CA part number cast into the intake manifold and had the bill of sale from a California dealer.  Nope said the inspector.  So I took his decision at face value.  I bought the cheapest Smog retarder I could find,  Bolted it to the left front fender and did not wire it in  I pointed out that I had passed all test requirements and that I now had a visually verified California approved smog device in the car.  Nothing specifically said in had to be connected!  Passed and got my renewal plates !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, MikeRL411 said:

I ran into this when I had to register my old 1970 Buick225  Electra LTD !  I passed everything smog but was "faled" for "no visual smog control device".  Despite the fact that my Buick was a California built, California certified vehicle verifiable by the VIN.  It had the "Pink pages" in the driver's handbook explaining the California unique features of the engine, had a unique CA part number cast into the intake manifold and had the bill of sale from a California dealer.  Nope said the inspector.  So I took his decision at face value.  I bought the cheapest Smog retarder I could find,  Bolted it to the left front fender and did not wire it in  I pointed out that I had passed all test requirements and that I now had a visually verified California approved smog device in the car.  Nothing specifically said in had to be connected!  Passed and got my renewal plates !

I'm glad you were able to get that done, but that sounded like pure & simple ignorance on the inspector's part.  Not all people in higher positions know what they are doing.  Hmmmmm, sounds alot like today..............🙄

• Like 1

Here in CA the laws, guidelines, codes, etc are written in a way that require full enforcement with strict penalties if they are not followed.

I do engine swaps and regularly have to get them certified by the CA BAR referee. The refs are nice, but standoffish and sort of militant. The reason is that they don't want to get to know you so they can do their job without prejudice. I also have an ability to crack that shell and have gotten to know many of the local refs, which doesn't make the job easier, but since they have allowed my into their circle, they are way more willing to share info and give me tips and tricks.

Also, if you go in with a chip on your shoulder, they mark you immediately and are going to throw the book at you.

So keep in mind that it's not the people doing to inspections that are the problem, it's the rules they are following that make it difficult. Don't shoot the messenger.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Sounds like every cop......

You know I can read this... hurtz muh feelz when you talk about me like this. 

Had my conference call today an, if I had any hair... I’d have pulled it out. 

Cliff’s Notes, NO ONE READ IT....  How the f*** are you gonna tell cops to enforce an unenforceable law?!? I’m glad I caught this before it was signed into law. 

They’re going to send this back and start over again.

3 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

react_haha.png

I really thought you were a huge jerk by just reading your comments on here.

When I met you at Gato’s house, I realized you’re just sarcastic.  This is why real world meets are important.

18 hours ago, Soundline said:

I really thought you were a huge jerk by just reading your comments on here.

When I met you at Gato’s house, I realized you’re just sarcastic.  This is why real world meets are important.

gato is good people. I was a jerk to him once. (at least) I remember if he doesn't and it bothers me still. Or was that HRH..... also good people and worth knowing.  

• 2 weeks later...
PROTECT YOUR RIGHT TO RACE! THE EPA IS BANNING RACECARS. TELL CONGRESS TO PASS THE RPM ACT NOW AND STOP THE EPA FROM DESTROYING MOTORSPORTS. YOUR MEMBER OF CONGRESS NEEDS TO HEAR FROM YOU NOW!
  • Street vehicles—cars, trucks, and motorcycles—can't be converted into racecars according to the EPA.
  • The EPA has announced that enforcement against high performance parts—including superchargers, tuners, and exhaust systems—is a top priority.
  • Even if you are one of the hundreds of thousands of enthusiasts who contacted Congress in the past, we need your support again!
  • Tell the bureaucrats in Washington that racecars are off limits!

https://www.sema.org/epa-news#:~:text=THE EPA IS BANNING RACECARS.&text=Street vehicles—cars%2C trucks%2C,systems—is a top priority.

• Like 1

on the 510 

69/70/71 and 73 all had smog pumps not sure about the 68

72 did not for some reason and i dont know why 

I used to have to smog my 69 510 and my 72 both were factory and the 72 did not have or require the smog pump 

this was in CALIFORNIA 

Cali used to also have sniffers on freeway on ramps at random this was either to expensive or unconstitutional as they stopped doing it years ago 

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1996-12-07-me-6547-story.html

Edited by Ranman72
3 minutes ago, Ranman72 said:

on the 510 

69/70/71 and 73 all had smog pumps not sure about the 68

72 did not for some reason and i dont know why 

I used to have to smog my 69 510 and my 72 both were factory and the 72 did not have or require the smog pump 

this was in CALIFORNIA 

Cali used to also have sniffers on freeway on ramps at random this was either to expensive or unconstitutional as they stopped doing it years ago 

Actually Ran it’s because the sensors were poor. The new LIDAR technology allows them to operate much faster. The old ones would get every 5th or 10th car. They were exposed in court proceedings to be subject to cross contamination from other vehicles.

You’ll see them again soon.

• Sad 1
  • 2 years later...

Bringing this up again. I just registered my '71 521 and they did not require smog check. (After '76 need smog in CA)

Do I need to keep the smog pump and emissions gear on my L16? Is there any reason to leave it on performance wise? Not planning to do anything, just curious. 

I like the idea of not breathing as much shit but also dont want to maintain a system I dont need and doesnt do anything for me.

Edited by andyZ00m

76 and later require smog testing. Since you registered it successfully, you can pretty much do whatever you want as long as you don't piss the wrong person off, since there won't be anyone checking.  That's not to say it's legal, as technically removing much of that stuff breaks state and/or federal epa regulations. Technically you're supposed to keep it, but practically no one is checking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/21/2023 at 12:08 PM, thisismatt said:

76 and later require smog testing. Since you registered it successfully, you can pretty much do whatever you want as long as you don't piss the wrong person off, since there won't be anyone checking.  That's not to say it's legal, as technically removing much of that stuff breaks state and/or federal epa regulations. Technically you're supposed to keep it, but practically no one is checking.

You DO have to be somewhat careful if you're stopped.  If you're driving like a hoon and smart off to a cop, he can write you a ticket where you have to take your car to a BAR referee if they suspect the smog stuff is missing or modified.  It is a rare occurence, but I have seen it happen a time or two.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Duncan said:

You DO have to be somewhat careful if you're stopped.  If you're driving like a hoon and smart off to a cop, he can write you a ticket where you have to take your car to a BAR referee if they suspect the smog stuff is missing or modified.  It is a rare occurence, but I have seen it happen a time or two.

Hence my comment about pissing off the wrong person 😛