Penetrating Fluid & other magic juices

Figured this is something we all come across - rusted PITA hardware, and all the various products we use in attempts get get unstuck.

IMG_7066.thumb.jpg.3748f02d07e02be0eb7b26df4bda188d.jpg

I have found this stuff to be better than most of the other penetrating fluids, only need a few drops and give the bolt some tapping to set up vibration and it works.

I get this at my local HVAC shop, only a few bucks for a bottle.

What else have you found that works?

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If they didn't call it penetrating oil or rust remover my expectations wouldn't be so high and I wouldn't have such a low opinion about how effective they were. I always use heat and WD-40. That compo seems to work. Heat and cold shock and repeat.

• Like 3

After years of using WD-40 the 510 wagon rusty bits just wouldn't cooperate. I tried PB Blaster and it worked better. The horn bolts, rear brake adjusters, and wiper pivot bolts came out without breaking among other things.

• Like 2

I heard about the 50/50 mixture of ATF and acetone twenty years ago and have been using it since then, it works well.  The only real problem is finding a spray bottle where one of the materials in the pump mechanism doesn't get melted by the acetone, I've found a few over the yrs that hold up for 5-6 yrs but when you go to buy another one you have to start the hunt all over again.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, Draker said:

One of those pressurized air cans maybe? The type that has a schrader valve. These can be used for brake cleaner, not sure about acetone and atf.

Those are what i have. There expensive but they have rebuild kits for them, so can really get some time out of them. Ive had my current one for about 16 years.

Amazon has them for $30 otherwise any of the major part stores carry them but there significantly more expensive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Draker said:

One of those pressurized air cans maybe? The type that has a schrader valve. These can be used for brake cleaner, not sure about acetone and atf.

8 hours ago, gumby510 said:

Those are what i have. There expensive but they have rebuild kits for them, so can really get some time out of them. Ive had my current one for about 16 years.

Amazon has them for $30 otherwise any of the major part stores carry them but there significantly more expensive.

Thanks boys, great idea!

81EtBpGC0sL._AC_SX466_.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
10 hours ago, leorton said:

I'm a fan of PB Blaster and Kroil.

PB Blaster seems to work well for me too. Stinks though, and lingers for awhile. i actually used it in my front door lock to my house when it was giving me trouble. smooth as butter now. all i did was coat the key and slide it in and out a few times.

I took our newer corolla in for something, and for whatever reason afterwards the hood was STIFF to open and close. i was like wtf, about to call up and bitch them out. squirted some PB Blaster, no more problems. also worked like a charm on the hood latch of the 720. it was a real bitch to close, now a slight drop and it latches no problem. can even just press on the hood to close it too.

• Like 1

I have used Kroil and PB Blaster mostly.  Kroil seems best if I have patience.  Once had to remove a rusty fuel pump cover with fragile 5mm studs.  Sprayed them every few days for a couple weeks, and got them all off.

I have a really old can of Liquid Wrench which never seemed to work real well (when I was younger, dumber and less patient).  I use it on stuff in the house.

WD40 is not a penetrant, and doesn't claim to be. 

Edited by iceman510